Official Review: WTF is Menopause book

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Finding Chika
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Fall of the Raven by Thymournia

Official Review: WTF is Menopause book

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "WTF is Menopause book" by Lorraine M. Burgess.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“In menopause, our body roars. All these years it has put up and shut up and now will not tolerate abuse or disrespect any longer. This commotion is simply a demand by your newly awake self for quality, not quantity, for re-evaluation and re-balancing.” -- Caryn Franklin

I recalled these words when I started reading WTF is Menopause by Lorraine Burgess. This book is a recollection of the author’s journey with menopause, in addition to the definition of menopause, its signs and symptoms, how to cope with it, and the struggles that it entails.

How many women thought they were going crazy and their world turned upside down, when in fact they were going through menopause? How many a domestic issue took place because the spouse may have not contemplated what his wife was going through?

Despite being a quick read, I found it both entertaining and informative. I also enjoyed the humorous yet honest writing style. Lorraine says, “As far as post menopause goes...well, you will have to wait for my second book if my memory holds up.”

Furthermore, I appreciated the organized and stepwise approach to menopause, and the holistic perspective, where the mind and the body are tackled and pampered.

I honestly cannot think of anything I disliked about the book. Interestingly, WTF is Menopause is not exclusive for women, although they might relate to it more than anyone else. Thus, I unhesitatingly recommend it to men seeking to understand what their spouse is going through. Readers who want smooth, evidence-based and first-hand information on an entity that could differ variably between the different women will be satisfied.

That said, I fell under the impression that the book is professionally edited. However, I think it would benefit from a polishing round of proofreading, as I came across some trivial and easily correctable errors that were mainly grammatical and punctuation-related. However, having crossed the ten errors’ threshold, I am forced to deduct one star from the total rating. I, therefore, give WTF is Menopause by Lorraine Burgess 3 out of 4 stars.

On a final note, the enlightenment that the book delivers in a lighthearted and compassionate manner is something to revel in. Here’s what the author says, “I had no idea that menopause causes you to come out of character and makes you say and do things you wouldn’t normally do. I went in as Lorraine Burgess, I truly don’t know who I had become after surgery.”

WTF is Menopause book
View: on Bookshelves

MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading: Project Tau
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Two Once Removed by Jeffrey Curry

Post by MsH2k »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 06:33
Lorraine says, “As far as post menopause goes...well, you will have to wait for my second book if my memory holds up.”
Great—and accurate—sentiment! This book sounds like a validating read for some and a guidebook for others. Thanks for a great review!

Ruba Abu Ali

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

MsH2k wrote:
17 Mar 2020, 00:22
Ruba Abu Ali wrote:
09 Mar 2020, 06:33
Lorraine says, “As far as post menopause goes...well, you will have to wait for my second book if my memory holds up.”
Great—and accurate—sentiment! This book sounds like a validating read for some and a guidebook for others. Thanks for a great review!
Thank you for stopping by and for the thoughtful comment.

Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: Finding Rita by Patricia Mayer

Post by Cecilia_L »

This sounds like a humorous approach to dealing with some frustrating symptoms. As always, I enjoyed your review, Ruba.

Ruba Abu Ali

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Cecilia_L wrote:
17 Mar 2020, 07:38
This sounds like a humorous approach to dealing with some frustrating symptoms. As always, I enjoyed your review, Ruba.
Indeed! Such a lighthearted book, that deals wittily with a tough topic. Thanks, Cecilia. Much appreciated.

Faithmwangi
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 66
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Employee Millionaire - Personal Workbook by H. J. Chammas

Post by Faithmwangi »

I like its humored nature and that it talks about an inevitable phase in women's lives.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”