Official Review: God Prevails by Charles Walker

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Democracy in America
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: The Fox by John J. Valentino, Pen name: Chief John J. Mandeville

Official Review: God Prevails by Charles Walker

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "God Prevails" by Charles Walker.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

God Prevails by Charles Walker is a nonfiction book detailing the author’s lifelong walk with God. Walker has both sought and avoided God throughout his life, but he hopes to share the message that, no matter how much you try to push God away, he will always love and forgive you and accept you back.

I appreciated the author’s honesty throughout this book, as he includes stories that show him in both a positive and negative light. I think that including examples of times he strayed from God’s path for him makes him more relatable. It also adds hope for the reader because it shows that God loves all of his children and that we are all imperfect in one way or another. I also enjoyed the more positive stories the author shared, like how he was improved as a person by his second wife, as this demonstrated the growth that he went through in his life as a result of his relationship with God and his attempts to follow the path that God had set out for him.

Although I enjoyed the narrative included in the story, I felt that the writing could use improvement. Firstly, I found a variety of errors throughout the book, which made it clear to me that the book was not professionally edited. I also found typographical mistakes in passages which were quoted from the Bible. This was especially disappointing, and I think it could reduce the author’s credibility with the reader.

Finally, I think that the book could be more organized. Although each chapter made sense, the overall story was not organized chronologically, and I often felt like the author repeated himself or skipped sections in his life story that the reader would benefit from hearing.

Overall, I would rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I think the author has a valuable story to tell, but a professional editor could help him tell that story more effectively. This book seems to be aimed at non-Christians or at former Christians who have strayed from God. However, it doesn’t employ many persuasive techniques to demonstrate how Christianity could improve someone’s life beyond an early chapter that implies non-Christians will end up in Hell, which is a bad place to be. Because of this, I think it may be best suited for adults who are already interested or participating in Christianity but want to hear a narrative from a man who strayed away from God and managed to find his way back.

God Prevails
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”