Official Review: NEW DAD WORDS OF WISDOM by Beau Salts

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mallory Whitaker
2017 Reading Goal: 35
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 74
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: NEW DAD WORDS OF WISDOM by Beau Salts

Official Review: NEW DAD WORDS OF WISDOM by Beau Salts

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "NEW DAD WORDS OF WISDOM" by Beau Salts.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When I was pregnant with my first child, I remember my husband looking for books for first-time fathers. Unfortunately, there wasn't much to be found. Most of the books had a "bro" feel to them; while this was (sometimes) entertaining, my husband never thought that he ought to be taking practical advice from them.

It's a shame that New Dad Words Of Wisdom wasn't out then. Beau Salts has done a remarkable job of writing a condensed guide for new fathers. While he writes in a personable, casual tone that warms the reader to him, his years of experience as a Registered Nurse keeps the book professional and authoritative.

While this book isn't meant to be a comprehensive guide, it covers a lot of ground. It's divided into small sections, which discuss things like hygiene; a baby's anatomy, including their natural reflexes; how to handle visitors after bringing the baby home from the hospital; information about SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome); purchasing baby gear and clothing; and preparing your dog for a new family member. While there's certainly more information out there about some of these topics - like buying baby gear and clothing - he does a great job of covering the topics he has the most expertise in as a nurse, like how to properly take care of the umbilical cord stump.

I particularly liked the section "Hygiene & Visitors." It covers the obvious, like the importance of having anyone wash their hands before meeting the baby, but there are other tidbits that might not be quite as obvious. For example, you should ask anyone who has smoked to wait at least twenty minutes since their last cigarette before allowing them to be around the baby. Additionally, if you're not comfortable with someone holding your baby, he gives a list of excuses you could give someone, such as an allergy to deodorant/soap or to warn them that the baby has been projectile vomiting. The role of the father during this time is that of a protector; he is supposed to be protecting the new relationship between the mother and child, and he shouldn't let anyone interrupt that unless both of them are comfortable with it.

While this particular role is highlighted a few times throughout the book, he focuses on other roles father's play, you know, like being a father. He has helpful advice that's easy to implement for fathers who need to learn how to balance the time they spend with their newborns and work. It also mentions that men can suffer from depression after the birth of their child and encourages them to seek help if they're suffering.

The author peppers relevant quotes and images throughout the book. Most of the images are high-quality; however, there were a few pictures toward the end that were distorted. The book appears to have been professionally edited. I found only three minor errors in its 72 pages.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it provides helpful information in a genre that, in my experience, doesn't have much to offer to fathers. The author's conversational tone and professionalism really set this book apart. I would recommend this book to fathers who are expecting their first child. I would also recommend this to new mothers because a lot of the advice is applicable to them as well, and it will also give them insight into their partner's role after their child's birth.

NEW DAD WORDS OF WISDOM
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 140
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: No Second Chances by Christopher Sherrod

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Like you and your husband, I wish this book was available 10 years ago when I was pregnant with my first. I agree that, while the "bro" vibe is certainly entertaining, new dads need a variety of material to read. Thanks for the engaging review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”