Official Review: Republicans and the Rich by Steven Godby

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Democracy in America
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: The Fox by John J. Valentino, Pen name: Chief John J. Mandeville

Official Review: Republicans and the Rich by Steven Godby

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Republicans and the Rich" by Steven Godby.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Republicans and the Rich by Steven Godby is a short nonfiction book about the author’s opinions on the Republican Party in the United States. After being brought up as a conservative Christian and Republican, Godby began to realize that the Republican Party was not working in his best interests. He started to look into the reasons that Republicans who do not benefit from the party’s policies continue to vote for them and realized that the Republican Party uses the mask of “family values” and “small government” to ensure that the rich will remain in power forever.

I was interested in this book because it’s rare to see someone switch political parties, and the author has swapped in every sense of the word. He integrates stories about how he began to understand the motives of the Republican Party with facts from outside sources about our changing economy and the oligarchs (big companies and their CEOs) that rule America today. I appreciated how the author balanced his personal narrative with statistics and the larger narrative of how America has evolved over the years and the reasons that we have federal regulations and consumer and worker protections.

Although I enjoyed the book as a whole, I do think it could use another round of editing. I found a variety of grammatical and typographical issues in it, and I believe it was not professionally edited. I also found that the author tended to repeat himself in some sections, which caused my attention to wane. Despite the short length of the book, I think the author could actually cut out some material to make it more focused. I also think he should include more of his personal narrative, since he only talked about himself when mentioning specific items like television programs that made him begin to change his political beliefs.

Overall, I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed how the author incorporated different elements to tell this story, but I think that the book could be revised to make it more focused and to remove the errors.

I would recommend this book for people of all political parties. Whether you identify as a Republican, Democrat, or something else, I think it’s good to consider how politicians either do or don’t work in your favor and how large corporations influence our political system. As the author said, he doesn’t expect people to change parties after reading his book. He just wants to make people think about what they want the government to do for them and whether or not their elected officials are accomplishing those goals.

Republicans and the Rich
View: on Bookshelves

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”