Review by Conniemay -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Conniemay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-conniemay.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Review by Conniemay -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Conniemay »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jorge Newbery, Entrepreneur, Role Model, Inspiration.

In this thoughtful Memoir Burn Zones: Playing Life’s Bad Hands by Jorge P. Newbery, Jorge describes his rise to financial success starting from age 7 when he obtained his first paper run. Not only does he describe the choices that lead him to become a sharp and successful entrepreneur who owned thousands of apartments across the US, but he also tells us in detail of his fall from grace down to rock bottom, after a natural disaster led him to be around 50 million in debt. This is not a tale of how to get rich or even a tale of how to learn from his mistakes to avoid pitfalls altogether. Rather, it is a tale on the importance of never giving up. Jorge describes these hard times in his life as burn zones. A term he learned during his athletic career and one which he uses to describe a time when one must continuously push through to beat all odds. 

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because I love a good story about overcoming the odds and that is certainly what Jorge Newbery delivered. A quick and inspiring read, His attitudes towards his failures is endearing. He pushes himself. He expects more from himself and he is always searching for the lesson in every bad situation. 

Jorge is an inspiration, to say the least. He is more than just money motivated. The guy wants to help people. He showed some serious innovation with some of the projects he set up.
Honestly, I was mad for him when the city council screwed him over and also not in the slightest bit surprised they would do such a thing. 

One thing I adored about this book was Jorge's relationship with his father. His dad was always so supportive of him. Even as a child when he would drive him across town to pick up supplies for his business. All of these stories of their time together were very heartwarming to read. It was sad to read of his fathers' death especially as I could relate having experienced death close to me very recently.

Unfortunately, this book wasn’t perfect and the back end of this story became a little too wordy for me. He started to lose me a little as he went into depth about the inner workings of his not-for-profit business. I would have loved if he could have simplified it a little bit more as I would have liked to be able to understand what he was talking about. Also, some parts were a little too political for my liking. 

Overall though the book was well edited and it was a great read. I would recommend it to anyone needing a bit of motivation.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”