Official Review: Lie-Ability by Jeffery A. Forkum

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: Overbrook Farms by Neal Goldstein

Official Review: Lie-Ability by Jeffery A. Forkum

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lie-Ability" by Jeffery A. Forkum.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When Jay learns that he is going to be a father, he becomes engaged to the mother of his child and buys a new home. Although the baby is born with Hirschsprung's disease, she survives, and they name her Emily. However, when Jay's fiancée grows distant, pressures him about getting life insurance, and winds up being arrested for assault, he begins to realize she has ulterior motives. Lie-Ability by Jeffery A. Forkum is the author's narrative of his life unraveling before his eyes after he is betrayed by those he trusts. Although his attempts to seek justice legally are sabotaged by more lies and corruption, he learns the truth years later.

The book's title, one-sentence synopsis, and a rather cryptic cover image offer readers little insight, but Forkum's first-person narrative gradually illuminates their meanings in a true story that reads stranger than fiction. At the beginning of the 195-page book, Forkum establishes his relationship with his fiancée and Emily's mother, Wanda. He also details circumstances involving his business, tax issues, and childhood background that become increasingly relevant as the story unfolds.

I appreciate Forkum's transparency and sharing details that don't always cast him in a positive light. I also admire his tenacity; he repeatedly attempts to provide the appropriate documentation to the police, attorneys, and doctors despite their unwillingness to believe him. For example, at a tavern, Forkum encounters a man who asks for a lighter and offers him a hit from his marijuana pipe. Based on the man's tattered clothing and disheveled appearance, he assumes the guy is homeless. After the homeless character misunderstands something he says, they exchange words, and Forkum leaves. However, when he encounters the same man in clean clothes with his hair combed reading through reports at the Olympia police department, the detective who takes his statement and even his attorney refuse to believe his account of the events.

I am not a fan of Forkum's writing style, which becomes increasingly disjointed and harder to follow as he becomes more emotional, and the dialogues are especially onerous to tackle. While I understand Forkum is relating the circumstances as he remembers them, I question his inclusion of every profanity-laden insult. On the other hand, he tends to dance around other issues. For instance, instead of just stating that he and Wanda had unprotected sex, he refers to straying from the "usual precautionary procedure" more than once.

Unfortunately, the book was not professionally edited; I noted 20 errors in the first 15 pages. Forkum included a disclaimer in the book's introduction that the documentation of his personal statements and public records were not edited. Nor, would I expect editing of photocopied references. However, numerous errors persist throughout the book. Forkum repeatedly confuses "accept" with "except," and his dialogues are frequently punctuated incorrectly.

For all of the above reasons, I rate Lie-Ability 2 out of 4 stars. I recommend the book to readers who are intrigued by true stories that seem stranger than fiction. Sensitive readers should be aware that it contains a lot of profanity, violence, and references to the sexual abuse of children.

Lie-Ability
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Koltrast
Currently Reading: The God Delusion
Bookshelf Size: 220
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-koltrast.html
Latest Review: Hidden: Nistar by Batya Casper

Post by Koltrast »

I haven’t read the book, but your review made me wonder if it might have been good for the author to have a bit of emotional distance to everything when the topic is such an emotionally heavy one as this seems to have been

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Koltrast wrote:
15 Mar 2020, 10:24
I haven’t read the book, but your review made me wonder if it might have been good for the author to have a bit of emotional distance to everything when the topic is such an emotionally heavy one as this seems to have been
Good point--thanks for your comment. :tiphat:

Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Ria710 »

It sounds like an interesting book. With another round of editing the book could be better. Thank you for your review.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Ria710 wrote:
16 Mar 2020, 13:24
It sounds like an interesting book. With another round of editing the book could be better. Thank you for your review.
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”