Official Review: Tunnel Vision, a focused life

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ButterscotchCherrie
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 76
2018 Reading Goal: 104
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 65
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: Adult Children
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterscotchcherrie.html
Latest Review: Tunnel Vision, a focused life by Jan Attard
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Tunnel Vision, a focused life

Post by ButterscotchCherrie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tunnel Vision, a focused life" by Jan Attard.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A dark tunnel could be a metaphor for difficult circumstances. However, there is nothing gloomy about the tunnels envisaged by Jan Attard in her self-help memoir Tunnel Vision: A Focused Life. The beauty of the leafy tunnel on the cover alone raised my spirits.

Attard's spirits were truly at a low when she devised what she calls "Tunnel Vision". Although her husband's violence was known to the police, he was awarded sole custody of the children when the couple divorced. In a devastating but not uncommon example of how the family court system fails to serve children's best interests, he presented himself well while discrediting a more emotional Attard. Cultivating "Tunnel Vision" was essential for her as she recovered from this blow, learned how to navigate the legal system, and found her way back to her children.

Her story is inspiring. I loved the message of this book. It encouraged me to visualize a tunnel whose walls keep negativity and discouragement outside. Crucially, the "Tunnel Vision" approach is all about forward motion, one baby step after another. I highlighted many passages and plan to saturate my awareness with them. As I read, I was buoyed up by words like these from Chapter Two of the book: "A commitment to focus on the good is summoned and reconfirmed on a daily basis. For it is within the 'tunnel' of our own making that we focus and choose to free ourselves from patterns of negativity, terror, and pain to create a place uninhibited to allow ourselves to dream and soar. From total despair, miracles happen if you believe them heart and soul."

The force of the motivational language in this book is one of its greatest strengths. Many passages read smoothly, but overall, another round of editing is needed. I deducted one star from the rating because I found many errors and inconsistencies throughout. Unfortunately, I had to deduct a second star because the book is generally lacking in substance and organization.

With its meandering timeline and several chapters whose content addresses their headings vaguely at best, this does not read like a coherent book. It seems more like a collection of blog posts. As inspirational as the messages are, the same ideas are repeated along with the same episodes in chapter after chapter. The author does look at "Tunnel Vision" from various angles and does provide a handful of practical tips. However, in its current form, this book is more about rhetoric than it is about actionable advice.

Rating this book two out of four stars as a result of the above, I can recommend it to self-help, non-fiction readers looking for a boost. I appreciated its emphasis on focus. I'm currently in a situation where I need to act, but I don't know where to start. If you can relate to this confusion, I recommend this book as a tool to help you concentrate and plan. If you are looking for guidance that you can get your teeth into, however, you might find this book frustrating.

Tunnel Vision, a focused life
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Miriam Molina
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 106
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 158
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: A Stained White Radiance
Bookshelf Size: 601
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-molina.html
Latest Review: Colors of Love by Adeola Oyekola
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Miriam Molina »

Tunnel vision is usually a negative attribute. But yes, in this context, it could be good. One day at a time. Good advice for worriers like me.

ronie smith
Currently Reading: The Greatest of These
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by ronie smith »

A DARK TUNNEL is a normal sensation for anyone when sometimes you feel all the doors are closed in front of you, but "after the storm there will be the good weather" as they say, that's what i understand from this review.

ButterscotchCherrie

Miriam Molina wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 01:39
Tunnel vision is usually a negative attribute. But yes, in this context, it could be good. One day at a time. Good advice for worriers like me.
It was certainly an interesting spin on a concept that's normally negative. It has proved a helpful metaphor for imagining the negativity being confined outside the tunnel walls. Many thanks for your comment!

ButterscotchCherrie

ronie smith wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 08:02
A DARK TUNNEL is a normal sensation for anyone when sometimes you feel all the doors are closed in front of you, but "after the storm there will be the good weather" as they say, that's what i understand from this review.
The author uses the image of the tunnel as a positive channel, which carries you ever forward and prevents you from looking back. The tunnel is beautiful like the one in the book cover image. Many thanks for your comment!

ronie smith
Currently Reading: The Greatest of These
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by ronie smith »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 03:05
ronie smith wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 08:02
The author uses the image of the tunnel as a positive channel, which carries you ever forward and prevents you from looking back. The tunnel is beautiful like the one in the book cover image. Many thanks for your comment!
Thank you for your explanation :D your review is interesting and i didn't mean nothing negative in my comment it's the opposite :D i liked your writing style, i understand the most parts of the book by the way described all the principal events and characters of the story. i hope the best for you and keep doing the same good job :tiphat:

espo
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 405
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espo.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Post by espo »

When I think of tunnel vision, a positive mindset that blocks out all negativity is the last thing that comes to mind. Based on the criticism you've offered, I agree with your rating: lack of organization and coherence is always a turnoff for me. Great review, as always!
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"

ButterscotchCherrie

espo wrote:
15 Mar 2020, 04:59
When I think of tunnel vision, a positive mindset that blocks out all negativity is the last thing that comes to mind. Based on the criticism you've offered, I agree with your rating: lack of organization and coherence is always a turnoff for me. Great review, as always!
Yes, it was a slightly odd choice of words given that "tunnel vision" has established connotations. It was a good metaphor despite that, though. Thank you for your kind comment!

Shabram22
Currently Reading: Breaking the Chain
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shabram22.html
Latest Review: Guidebook of How to Obtain Pureness of Heart Required to Enter Heaven by J. Phillips Crute

Post by Shabram22 »

I can understand that the cover of the book is attractive. I love nature so that would attract me as well. I like that this book contains good quotes and things you took for yourself. I hope the author gets this book cleaned up though for a more enjoyable read. Thanks for your review!

ButterscotchCherrie

Shabram22 wrote:
18 Mar 2020, 14:49
I can understand that the cover of the book is attractive. I love nature so that would attract me as well. I like that this book contains good quotes and things you took for yourself. I hope the author gets this book cleaned up though for a more enjoyable read. Thanks for your review!
Yes, the book has great potential. Thank you for your comment.

Firefawkes
2019 Reading Goal: 60
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: Trials and Tribulations by Jess Thomas

Post by Firefawkes »

It seems like the author has some good ideas but needs to give them some more attention to iron out her intentions! Great review!

ButterscotchCherrie

Firefawkes wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 12:47
It seems like the author has some good ideas but needs to give them some more attention to iron out her intentions! Great review!
Exactly. It would be great to see more authors work with editors. Thanks for your comment!

SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Conflict on the Yangtze by Greg Kater

Post by SunVixen »

Perhaps this could be a good and inspiring book. It’s a pity that the author sometimes turns the text into "collection of blog posts". Thanks for the honest review!

ButterscotchCherrie

SunVixen wrote:
22 Mar 2020, 05:34
Perhaps this could be a good and inspiring book. It’s a pity that the author sometimes turns the text into "collection of blog posts". Thanks for the honest review!
Yes - the structure was a weakness, which dampened the content a bit. Thanks for commenting!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”