Review by Avoclaw -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Avoclaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avoclaw.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Review by Avoclaw -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Avoclaw »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How will you feel if you had to start over again? All the accomplishments in your life gone, caused by something that wasn’t even your fault. This is exactly what the author goes through in the book Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery, an autobiography of the author’s life.

The author introduces the concept of a “Burn Zones” fairly early on, describing it as “short periods of extraordinary effort that separated the winners and losers”. Following this concept, the autobiography then describes sections in his life whereby he had to endure these zones; periods of difficulty that tested his will to succeed and the ability to endure setback after setback. Indeed, the climax of the book describes the biggest “Burn Zone” he has encountered, plunging him over 26 million dollars in debt, and his journey in pulling himself out of that situation to build the comfortable life he now enjoys.

I find the clearly demarcated chapters of this book my favorite aspect of it. Chapters are very clearly marked and separated into various periods in his life, from his journey as a paperboy to loan originator and eventually, a real estate mogul. While I understand that others may feel that the content or writing style to be more important in a good autobiography, clear markers offer the reader easy access to any section of the book they wish to revisit. For example, I found the chaptering system highly useful when re-reading the chapter on how he managed to pull himself out of debt. Hence, I found the handy chapter markers to be my favorite aspect of this book.

One aspect of the book I did not exactly enjoy was the repetitive nature of the use of the term “Burn Zones”. Whilst the title of this book is exactly that, the constant reminder that the author is going through one of these zones sounds fine at first, though towards the middle it starts to feel somewhat cheesy. However, I do acknowledge that this is a personal quip of mine, and somewhat of a nitpick. Nonetheless, I do stand by my opinion that this was one tiny aspect that irked me slightly as I read the book.

In the end, I find this to be an excellent and well-edited memoir detailing Newbery’s life and hence would rate it 4 out of 4 stars, electing not to subtract a star since the negative I mentioned is rather subjective and minor. I think that this book contains plenty of lessons for young adults and teenagers to learn and hence would recommend that they take a look at it should they get the opportunity.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

AvocaDebo621
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading: The Daily Stoic
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avocadebo621.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by AvocaDebo621 »

The book is a simple narrative of the author’s life and his experience, rather than a preachy “how-to guide” to instant success. Loved reading it. I really enjoyed your review. 🙂

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”