Official Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Official Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Post by Monet_va »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cowboys Don't Fly" by John Steed.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cowboys Don’t Fly, Adventures in African Aviation by John Steed is an autobiography about his life and experiences in Kenia, Rhodesia and Mozambique with a specific focus on his passion for flying. The book has a Table of Contents with the Prologue – Plane Crash. This immediately draws the reader in and creates a sense of anticipation.

John Steed was born in India, but his family relocated to Kenia and at the early age of 14 he experienced his first life-changing flight in a Piper Cub. His passion for flying was ignited. He attended the Duke of York School for Boys and after school, his father enrolled him at the Kenia Regiment Training Centre. From there he went to Salisbury where he underwent medical and aptitude tests and eventually joined the Royal Airforce in the Southampton. His training came to an end and he was discharged and went back to Kenia where he started his first real job, fishing for turtles of the Somalia coast. His father’s friend told him about the job and said that he was becoming a real Kenia Cowboy to which he responded “Cowboys don’t fly, whereas I do” - thus the name of the book. The book continues to describe his life, his career changes and relationships and specifically his involvement in the Rhodesian Bush War and later in Mozambique civil war and the NGO’s involved in Africa.

There are very few swear words in the book, the first being on page 34 where one of his fellow trainees were quoted. As an animal lover, I found that some of the activities that the author participated in were cruel but the fact that the author also realized this and did not continue with these activities increased my respect for the author. There are no sex scenes in the book.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars due to the fact that it was, in my opinion, aimed at a specific audience. The book is interesting and fast-moving and the photos create familiarity and enable the reader to engage with John Steed.

It is written in a factual manner and although interesting it is not specifically well written. The book becomes more “humane” towards the end where John gets involved with NGO’s and wildlife. I would recommend this book to young readers who would like to follow their passion, to entrepreneurs and to readers with a specific interest in aviation and the politics and wars in Africa.

Cowboys Don't Fly
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Unspoken Things The Inlightenment by Wilfred Thomas

Post by That Reviewer »

I read your review and from all you've said, I think you were a little harsh on your rating. I enjoyed your summary though.
Rancy_Chepchirchir
Currently Reading: Sapiens
Bookshelf Size: 47

Post by Rancy_Chepchirchir »

I'm a Kenyan and would like to point out that it's Kenya and not Kenia. Thanks for the review but from the kindle sample, i'd definitely read this book as these are normal day-to-day life experiences, hence one would really benefit from the author's insights! Thanks!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Autobiographies are always full of surprises as every person's life is a unique journey. I appreciated your explanation of the title. Thanks for this interesting recommendation!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”