Review by nadirab21 -- The Mindset by Ace Bowers

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
nadirab21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadirab21.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Review by nadirab21 -- The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by nadirab21 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Mindset" by Ace Bowers.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Mindset by Ace Bowers is a memoir describing how the author went from being a janitor, making $6 an hour, to being a multi-millionaire. Through hard work, determination and using a mind-over-matter mindset, Bowers was able create a lifestyle which brought him out of poverty, made him able to provide for his family and make him the man he always wanted to be.
I would like to start off by saying that this book was very relatable. Bowers grew up in a poor part of California and always felt as though he wasn’t good enough. I, as well as many other people, can relate to this. I myself grew up in a lower class family. I would always become jealous of the other kids who were able to take family vacations every summer and who were able to buy the latest clothes and go to the movies once a month, etc. Even though we didn’t have the money for expensive things my mom always made sure I was properly fed, dressed and had a roof over my head. For that, I will always be grateful. Bowers also states that he was embarrassed of his parents because they would argue all the time. Although I did not grow up with parents like that there are many individuals who do feel ashamed of their parents because of their constant actions.
Another relatable aspect of this book was that Bowers was forced to take a job as a janitor because he had no choice; and it sucked. The sad part is that there are so many people in the country today who have no choice but to take an undesirable job because they are at their wit’s end. When Bowers had made a comment about the homeless people he had seen on the street, I felt his pain. I myself am not in the same position as Bowers was back then, however, just looking at your situation from a different perspective can whole-heartedly change your own view on your situation.
Bowers had hinted a few times that his life turned out the way it did because of God; that he started off as a janitor in order to end up becoming the person he is today. I don’t believe in God but I do believe that the universe works in certain ways for a reason. Bowers couldn’t get the job he desired so he had no choice but to take a different job. During that time, life threw him a curveball. As a result, he had to buckle down and make certain choices in order to become a better provider for his family.
I give the book a 4 out of 4. I think the book was very relatable which is why I liked it so much. Normally a memoir is pretty long but Bowers gets right to the heart of things. Bowers’ story is the story of the American dream. He did mention that his goal wasn’t to become a multi-millionaire but he is grateful for everything that has happened in his life.

The Mindset
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”