Review by AvocaDebo621 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AvocaDebo621
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading: The Daily Stoic
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avocadebo621.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Review by AvocaDebo621 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by AvocaDebo621 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jorge P. Newbery's autobiography Burn Zones: Playing Life’s Bad Hands chronicles the journey of his extraordinary life. He was an entrepreneur from the very beginning and a fearless risk taker. The book is a simple narrative of the author’s life and his experience, rather than a preachy “how-to guide” to instant success.

From about the age of eight, Jorge Newbery was exceptionally driven by the desire to make money, and the book starts with the young boy on a paper run. It then follows him through becoming an ice cream seller, and later try his hand as a professional cyclist, then finding his base as a loans broker and property developer. Scattered through the story are glimpses of some of the darker aspects of American society through the 1970s to recent times. A common theme throughout the book was his relentless motivation to make it through the ‘Burn Zones' that Jorge described as, “relatively short periods of extraordinary effort that separated the winners and losers.” This philosophy marks the core of this autobiography.

The author’s story is vividly described by sharing his dreams, his success, his ambitions, and how his penchant for taking risks has put him occasionally in despair but simultaneously, gave him clarity that kept him intact. Jorge’s ethics in business, sports and in his personal life show a single minded consistency; however, we also get to see his humane side for people who were different or less fortunate than others. Perhaps Jorge could empathize because he personally knew what it was like to be different. He was personally driven but also had the support of a strong family with deep roots that he could rely on. He had some humorous moments throughout the book, like the part where he tells us about his favorite music genre. This one made my eyes water with laughter.

For a 314 page novel, Jorge had to moved quickly through his life’s story. I found that there was an overall depth that was missing from this novel because of it’s short length. The author’s life hasn’t been boring for him so far! We witnessed his rise from a paperboy to owning 4,000 apartments across the US and then lose it all (26 million dollars) – his ultimate burn zone. What fascinated me at this point was how Jorge handled it all. How he lost it all, did not declare bankruptcy and came through the crisis unscathed. He did not give up under any circumstances.

Overall, Burn Zones: Playing Life’s Bad Hands is a brilliant read for young adults and budding entrepreneurs for it’s motivational and inspirational value. I give it 4 out of 4 stars. Even though the story lags after page 200, the book is exceptionally well-edited with minimal mistakes and no grammar issues. Newbery is a street smart entrepreneur, risk taking investor, professional athlete, and a brilliant author. He has been there and done it all and his book is bound to make a brilliant read, and given his experiences with his life’s “burn zones”, it's a must read for everyone.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 86
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: A clock with Feet by Miss Henny

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad this is so well-written. I don't read many memoirs, but this sounds like one to put on the list. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

AvocaDebo621
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading: The Daily Stoic
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avocadebo621.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by AvocaDebo621 »

kandscreeley wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 19:49
I'm glad this is so well-written. I don't read many memoirs, but this sounds like one to put on the list. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.
That's so nice to know 😊. I think you'll like it too, and thanks for stopping by!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”