Review by Melchi Asuma -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Melchi Asuma
2018 Reading Goal: 1000
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melchi-asuma.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Review by Melchi Asuma -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Melchi Asuma »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zones, by Jorge P. Newberry, attempts to look at life, and especially the tough times in life, in a new and positive light. Newberry uses his life and actions to help us have a new outlook on burn zones.

Burn zones are certain areas and moments in life when a person is put to the test. It is the hardest and toughest part of life and separates successful people from average people. For instance, when riding a bike, climbing a mountain is a burn zone. Jorge Newberry describes his life and the various burn zones that he has had to power through. As a child, Newberry recalls, he always went out of his way to do the harder thing. This includes being employed as a newspaper delivery boy at a very young age, cycling to the highest athletic level, and learning to become a loan officer later in life. However, as with everything in life, there came one burn zone that was so tough that it almost destroyed him. He was deep in debt and was in an extremely tough financial situation. This was his biggest burn zone and was the one that came close to beating him.

I enjoyed the introductory part of this book. The first few chapters that detailed the author's childhood were interesting to read. It was fascinating to meet a seven-year-old that actively seeks out employment. It made me think back to my childhood and contrast my thought patterns and actions to the author's thought patterns and actions. However, it lost this appeal as it progressed into his adulthood because the narration did not change to accommodate the new expectations that I had of the book.

The writing was nice, simple, and easy to read. Even when the author was narrating technical terms and stories, he managed to simplify it for me (his reader). This was refreshing and made me read the book to the end without getting bored or getting stuck in one page for too long which is usually a recipe for boredom.

Burn Zones is a great novel for audiences seeking motivation or those seeking to learn from other people's actions. It was also very professionally edited as I saw no grammatical errors. I, thus, have to rate it the full 4 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed reading it and was only bored by its redundancy and monotony. It will be enjoyed, as earlier stated, by audiences looking for motivation and avid readers of non-fiction novels and biographies.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
MA

AvocaDebo621
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading: The Daily Stoic
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avocadebo621.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by AvocaDebo621 »

The book is a simple narrative of the author’s life and his experience, rather than a preachy “how-to guide” to instant success. Loved reading it. I really enjoyed your review. 😊

[Danielle]
2019 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielle.html
Latest Review: He Does Not Die A Death of Shame by Jack Hoffmann

Post by [Danielle] »

I have been debating on reading this book ever since it popped up as a book to review. However, I am not normally a non-fiction fan when reading for pleasure. It sounds like there are elements that are more story-driven, however, so maybe I'll give it a shot.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." - Albus Dumbledore

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”