Review by Sharon2056 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sharon2056
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon2056.html
Latest Review: The Secrets of Living A Fantastic Life by Dr Allen Lycka, Harriet Tinka

Review by Sharon2056 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Sharon2056 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Developing endurance and determination to enable us to achieve our goals is not an easy path. Usually, people tend to stay in the course of a process when it's easy but back off when the course is tough. The autobiography, Burn Zones: Playing Life's Bad Hands by Jorge P. Newbery, illustrates how the protagonist was able to endure all types of challenges in life to achieve one of the most coveted positions in the world.

The book begins by outlining some of the protagonist's flaws and strengths. Interestingly his flaws are similar to his strengths, which are some of the reasons why he has greatly excelled. Some of the attributes include; he's tough on himself, and he defers instant gratification. The author further goes to narrate how he began his entrepreneurial conquest by first asking a newspaper delivery person to be his paperboy. This audacity is impressive coming from a boy of seven whom most of his mates are mostly involved in school and play and know little about asking for a job. Once he was given that opportunity, it was the beginning of his success journey as it laid the foundation of his future job opportunities and potential investments.

The author further shares his epic journey as an Olympic cyclist. Having achieved several feats in his previous jobs and businesses, he eyed being an Olympic cyclist medalist. In cycling, the author explains what a burn zone is and how it relates to life. He says we all have burn zones in life, and that is when we need to keep pushing harder. Having started from being a newbie in cycling, his determination led him to rub shoulders with top Olympic Gold Medalists like Alexi Grewal and top in some of the contests. In his next venture into mortgages and the real estate business, that is where he got his highest feat, but unfortunately, a severe blow was waiting.

Newbery is richly experienced in a variety of fields but most notably in the real estate business. One central lesson that I gathered from this text is that perseverance and old school hard work inevitably reaps success. The book oozes wisdom that, when rightly applied, can see one succeed in life. Moreover, the text is professionally interwoven to counter the story of the author. And highlight the favorite songs of the author or his late and present friends, and it perfectly presented the message. The input of other parties involved in the stories sheds light on how some of the disturbing events went down. One is able to see a third-party experience of how the situation was and how the author was immensely invested in seeing the situation change for the better.

The book was immensely informative on broad aspects of life. One quote that I enjoyed is that one can still do well in life by doing good to others. Many issues are raised in the book, such as racism, in which minority communities are treated horrendously, whereas the majority class gets a pass even after committing heinous crimes. The police, for instance, is used to commit evil to the public and cover it up by formulating false stories. However, above all, love for family, support, and sheer determination saw the author progress in his career.

The book was well-edited, as I did not encounter any grammatical errors. The book has a large cast of characters, which I somehow found hard to keep tabs on. However, being an autobiography, this is expected as the author narrates memorable experiences with several individuals. This is a really entertaining and yet informative encounter of the author of how he built himself from nothing into a real estate mogul. I wholeheartedly rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I highly recommend the book to athletes and people who are into the real estate business. I also recommend it to anyone who wants an inspiring and impressive read.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

AvocaDebo621
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading: The Daily Stoic
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avocadebo621.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by AvocaDebo621 »

The book is a simple narrative of the author’s life and his experience, rather than a preachy “how-to guide” to instant success. Loved reading it. I really enjoyed your review. 🙂

[Danielle]
2019 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielle.html
Latest Review: He Does Not Die A Death of Shame by Jack Hoffmann

Post by [Danielle] »

I have been debating on reading this book ever since it popped up as a book to review. However, I am not normally a non-fiction fan when reading for pleasure. It sounds like there are elements that are more story-driven, however, so maybe I'll give it a shot.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." - Albus Dumbledore

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”