Review by Ariely 20 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ariely 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ariely-20.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Review by Ariely 20 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Ariely 20 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jorge.P.Newbery
Burn Zones: Playing life's bad hands

As a book lover who reads mostly for pleasure and since this is my first book review ever, it was only natural that i was a little anxious especially as i had chosen a non fiction book to review. I started to read and became so immersed that i forgot all about my initial trepidation and had to make a conscious effort to pace myself
Burn Zones is a true life story that aims to teach life lessons from Jorge's experiences. I liked Jorge, he seemed really honest and down to earth and he always tried to conduct his business, in a way that was beneficial to everyone, even though this idea is contrary to the way business is sometimes portrayed. The various photographs on display in the book helped bring to life some of the stories and it was a really nice touch. I liked seeing the photos. Jorge's courage and confidence in always reaching for new goals, learning and moving to the next thing is quite remarkable and i envied him a little

The story opens on an unexpected note (certainly didn't see it coming). We meet seven year old Jorge a shy but confident young boy in 1973, Los Angeles, asking a sceptical adult to give him a chance to become a newspaper delivery person. Jorge's confidence in making this request stems from the following quote.
"Besides the day was March !st and i had said "White Rabbits" that morning as soon as i woke up just like i did on the first of every month. My mother had taught me that the ritual empowered me with good luck".
Jorge's success as a delivery person propels him into other things; he buys a trike and becomes an ice cream vendor, this particular venture helps to build his legs for a future career as a bike racer, but not before his success in the punk music scene as a record mogul. He goes on to become a loan originator and from there to a career in real estate.

In each of his various ventures, Jorge finds that there are certain extra challenging situations which he labels "burn zones". With every burn zone Jorge overcomes, his confidence and optimism increases until he gets into the biggest burn zone of all, "Woodland Meadows after the ice storm". Unlike other burn zones he previously encountered this particular burn zone takes a lot more effort to recover from and Jorge picks up some very important life lessons.
Even though the story is centred on financial wins and losses, it is well crafted to include other topics such as; racism, being called spic by the other school kids; police riots, witnessed during the Sunset riots versus diplomatic policing during Occupy Cincinati and finally a loner from a loving family finding friendship among outcasts and eventually getting married.

The diversity of the writers experiences is one of the reasons Burn Zones is an interesting and thought provoking book to read. It aims to motivate and encourage and i was quite encouraged by it. I recommend it for everyone especially for any one who needs a little push. The language is pretty simple although a little technical in some areas. There are no erotic scenes (that strip club scene description is far from erotic), it is professionally edited and profanity was used in a descriptive context and kept to a minimum. I rate Burn Zones 4 out of 4. There was nothing i did not like about this book

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
AvocaDebo621
Currently Reading: The Daily Stoic
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avocadebo621.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by AvocaDebo621 »

The book is a simple narrative of the author’s life and his experience, rather than a preachy “how-to guide” to instant success. Loved reading it. I really enjoyed your review. 🙂
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

I can't admire the author enough! His wonderful life is a lesson to many. Thanks for the review!
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
[Danielle]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielle.html
Latest Review: The Global Reconstruction Project by S. Cotton

Post by [Danielle] »

I have been debating on reading this book ever since it popped up as a book to review. However, I am not normally a non-fiction fan when reading for pleasure. It sounds like there are elements that are more story-driven, however, so maybe I'll give it a shot.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." - Albus Dumbledore
Ariely 20
Currently Reading:

Post by Ariely 20 »

AvocaDebo621 wrote: 02 Mar 2020, 11:48 The book is a simple narrative of the author’s life and his experience, rather than a preachy “how-to guide” to instant success. Loved reading it. I really enjoyed your review. 🙂
You are right about the preachy thing. Glad you liked my review. :D
Ariely 20
Currently Reading:

Post by Ariely 20 »

:?:
Ekta Swarnkar wrote: 14 Mar 2020, 11:02 I can't admire the author enough! His wonderful life is a lesson to many. Thanks for the review!
I share your admiration. You are welcome
Ariely 20
Currently Reading:

Post by Ariely 20 »

[Danielle] wrote: 14 Mar 2020, 12:03 I have been debating on reading this book ever since it popped up as a book to review. However, I am not normally a non-fiction fan whene reading for pleasure. It sounds like there are elements that are more story-driven, however, so maybe I'll give it a shot.
I am pretty sure you will enjoy reading it. And feel free to thank me later :tiphat:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”