Review by Zion Mesa -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Zion Mesa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zion-mesa.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Review by Zion Mesa -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Zion Mesa »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zones is the story of the author Jorge Newbery, a white-passing Hispanic, and his struggles in conquering and overcoming the greatest challenge of his life, a 26 million-dollar debt. The book encompasses around 40 years of Newberys’ life. It begins with his paper route at only seven years old and details the journey into adulthood, through the hardest period of his life. The title Burn Zones is derived from a term he’d used during his time in bicycle racing to describe the, “relatively short periods of extraordinary effort that separated the winners and the losers”.

The introduction does its work effectively. It sets the stage by detailing how, in the midst of one of Newberys’ greatest achievements, a natural disaster initiated a chain of events that soon left him with a 26 million-dollar debt, and a ruined reputation. The book takes its time, choosing to give the reader the chance to get to know the author and what kind of person he is, before recounting the story of his downfall.

The author tells the stories of his earliest jobs and businesses, his athletic career, and even shares a few intimate moments from his family life, touching on the important skills and lessons that each experience taught him and how they affected the way he views the world around him. Newbery also references the music scene he was a part of as a young man, drawing parallels between the social scene and the impact that it had on the subsequent music culture.

I enjoyed Newberys' skilled use of foreshadowing and analogy, the author uses it to build an ever-growing sympathy and concern within the reader throughout the novel. As the book progresses, he leads us gradually towards the climax of the story, expressing fond memories and his regrets each in turn. Through this extremely personal approach, I found myself easily able to relate to the writer as he told the story of each of his “burn zones”.

I have decided to give this book four out of four stars. I enjoyed this book. It was well written and edited, as well as informative. In a few places, I felt as though the author was overusing the title analogy, but it didn’t detract from my enjoyment of the book as a whole. I would advise this book to anyone with an interest in business, people, or social crises. Due to the type of subject matter contained, however, I wouldn’t advise it for small children.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

AvocaDebo621
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading: The Daily Stoic
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avocadebo621.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by AvocaDebo621 »

The book is a simple narrative of the author’s life and his experience, rather than a preachy “how-to guide” to instant success. Loved reading it. I really enjoyed your review. 🙂

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”