Review by Empan16 -- The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Empan16
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-empan16.html
Latest Review: Away To Me, My Love by Naomi McDonald

Review by Empan16 -- The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Empan16 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Altitude Journals" by David J Mauro.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

David J. Mauro's, The Altitude Journals, is a nonfiction novel about his journey climbing the seven summits. Since a young age, David had felt that he did not have a sense of purpose in his life. This feeling transferred to adulthood as he had a failed marriage, loss of a family member, and other life struggles that pushed him to make the drastic decision of climbing the Summit of Denali. This was the beginning of a seven year journey climbing the six other summits. He used these opportunities to find personal purpose and success while also discovering many ways to cope with and handle the challenges associated with age and adulthood. This book details the hardships and success in his life and how he used the seven summits to turn his life around.

The first thing that I want to address is the rating of the book. I was hesitant on reading this book because nonfiction is not something that I normally read. But, upon reading, I found that it was well-written and had personally impacted my life. I rate The Altitude Journals by David J. Mauro a 4 out of 4 stars.

One of the biggest reasons that I gave the score I did was because of the content in the book. I thought that everything that the author wrote played a huge role in telling his life story. He gave good detail when needed and kept me engaged throughout the entire novel. I also appreciated the lack of grammatical errors. This book seemed to be professionally edited as there were only one or two very minor mistakes. Having little to no grammar errors allowed me to fully immerse myself in the journey of the book. The novel’s chapters and plot were also logically organized and easy to follow. In total, the book had 456 pages which made it a bit longer than a traditional novel. It was fantastic and there was nothing that I didn’t like about it.

I would say that this book may be more intended for young adults to adult readers. There is some use of profane language in the book but no inappropriate scenes. I think that the concepts in the book are easy to understand and easy to connect to. The themes, ideas, and experiences that the author went through can be connected to the lives of many different readers of varying ages. I think that anyone who may need inspiration, motivation, or a good book to read should pick this one up.

To summarize, I loved the book and would highly recommend it to anyone who needs a new book to read. What I liked the most about the book was that it read like a realistic fiction novel. There was nothing that I didn’t like about the book. It was both engaging and informative which allowed for a very good read. I was able to connect with Dave’s life in many different aspects. Additionally, this book made me question my life and made me more aware of the things that I want to accomplish. Again, as stated above, I would give this book a 4 out of 4 stars and highly recommend it to others.

The Altitude Journals
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”