Official Review: God's love by Barry Gaddis

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Official Review: God's love by Barry Gaddis

Post by Jaime Lync »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "God's love" by Barry Gaddis.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

God’s Love by Barry Gaddis is unquestionably Christian literature written from a heart that hopes to reach a lost generation. The author shares his testimony of how God radically changed his life of drugs, alcohol and partying to one of wholehearted devotion to God. The book may easily be summarized by the following excerpt from 2 Corinthians 5:11-15 (NIV):
“Since, then, we know what it is to fear the Lord, we try to persuade others… For Christ’s love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all… that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again.”
As a Christian, I applaud Gaddis’ passion for evangelism. He recounts several experiences he has had in outreach work – he has seen the good, the bad and the ugly in people and is still willing to minister to them. Throughout the book, he admonishes readers to turn from their ways and pursue a relationship with God through faith in Christ. Even if you are a Christian, you are still encouraged to become more intimate with your Lord and saviour.

I would have loved to be able to award this book a perfect rating and recommend it to everyone and their one drunk uncle. Unfortunately, this book suffered heavily from a lack of a professional editor. Gaddis does make mention of a friend helping him with the editing, but I cannot begin to imagine a book more littered with grammatical errors than this one. The frequency of misplaced and missing punctuation marks and misspelt and missing words was staggering. I especially disliked several instances where sentences were split into phrases due to misplaced periods. It would be especially difficult for anyone who appreciates grammar to read this book.

Moreover, the work was poorly formatted. Gaddis would be preaching to rebellious folks one moment and praying to God the next. This created confusion, as I was not always sure whether he was praying or speaking to the reader. The book is also very repetitive. I appreciate emphasis as a device to drive home a message but repeating yourself like a broken record is counterproductive. Once again, the problems stemmed from the lack of professional editing.

Of note, I must mention that I did not agree with every theological claim that was mentioned in this book. The author seemed to imply that every one of us is a child of God. However, according to the Bible, God’s children are only those who have accepted Jesus as Lord and saviour and are led by his Spirit (Roman 8:14).

In conclusion, I rate God’s Love by Barry Gaddis 2 out of 4 stars. The author shares a very powerful testimony of the love and grace of God, so I would still recommend this book to readers interested in such a story.

God's love
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

Let us hope that he will have this book another round of editing. He writes an important message that can help many. May grammar not stop the message. Thanks for this review.
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

Sounds like this book has a great deal of promise. I hope he takes your feedback to heart, cleans it up, and tries again. Thanks for a well-written, honest review.
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

I'm not so much into religious books. Your review was awesome though.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”