Official Review: The Mind Regulator: My Story On How My M...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 319
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: Weeping Willow's Wish by Brenda Elzin

Official Review: The Mind Regulator: My Story On How My M...

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Mind Regulator: My Story On How My Mind Was Restored" by Shakeema S. Perry.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In The Mind Regulator: My Story on How My Mind Was Restored, Shakeema S. Perry chronicled the devastating mental effects she experienced after a traumatic childhood accident. With honesty and a touch of humor, Perry recounted her struggle with confusion, lack of concentration, negative thoughts, perceptions of others, impulse control, and depression. She explained how these issues affected her school years, relationships, and career during different stages of her life. Despite the mental anguish she experienced, Perry believed she survived for a purpose, and in her inspirational story, she revealed how she found help and healing.

The book is slightly over 100 pages; it is professionally edited and contains no profanity. Perry's faith is a central theme of her story. Each chapter begins with a scripture, and she shares her prayers and how she seeks God's guidance in her life. Readers will relate to her transparency as she recounts her struggles, weaknesses, and soul-searching. There are nonexplicit sexual references that pertain to Perry's temptation in light of her celibacy.

The strength of the book and what I like most is Perry's detailed narrative of how she wrestled with her thoughts and impulses. From not being able to fit in at school to having to adjust her interactions with customers as an adult, she paints a vivid picture of her state of mind. She also does an excellent job of conveying how her negative thoughts affected her faith: "I loved God and wanted to please him, but with all of this confusion, I thought I was far from God."

At the end of the book, Perry included research about the connection between head injuries and mental illness. She defined and listed symptoms for schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, organic mental disorder, and several forms of clinical depression. Perry referred to seeing doctors over the years, but what I disliked was the lack of any disclaimer regarding seeking the advice of a professional. Before receiving miraculous healing, she had decided to see a doctor to request medication. In all honesty, if I experienced the type of divine healing that Perry described, I would have also eschewed medication. However, my concern is that the lack of a cautionary disclaimer may encourage self-diagnosis in those needing professional care.

Additionally, although the grammatical errors were minimal, some sentences were worded awkwardly and required rereading for clarity. As I mentioned previously, Perry's detailed narrative illustrated a realistic portrayal of her mental struggles. However, at times, she overshared less interesting details, such as what she ate. Also, her tendency to begin sentences with the word "So" was distracting and repetitive; I counted nine instances in the first four pages, but the pattern persisted throughout the book.

Overall, I rate The Mind Regulator 3 out of 4 stars. Despite the awkward and repetitive phrasing, the book provides insightful glimpses of both living with the aftereffects of head trauma and Perry's subsequent miraculous healing. I recommend it to Christian readers and family members of those who have suffered head trauma or related mental disorders. However, Perry's narrative that includes prayers and seeking God's guidance is less likely to appeal to unbelievers.

The Mind Regulator: My Story On How My Mind Was Restored
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Kelyn
2019 Reading Goal: 35
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 188
Currently Reading: The Scent of Distant Worlds
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelyn.html
Latest Review: The Wrath of Isis by Michael A Zuniga
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Kelyn »

I'm not sure I actually believe in 'miraculous healing, but I do believe that the mind is a powerful thing and belief can achieve more than we realize is possible. This is not one of the genres I prefer, but I'm sure those who are interested in it will find it fascinating reading. Beautifully written review, as always.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Kelyn wrote:
08 Feb 2020, 20:17
I'm not sure I actually believe in 'miraculous healing, but I do believe that the mind is a powerful thing and belief can achieve more than we realize is possible. This is not one of the genres I prefer, but I'm sure those who are interested in it will find it fascinating reading. Beautifully written review, as always.
Thank you, Kelyn.

sanjus
2019 Reading Goal: 21
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 56
Currently Reading: Charles' Story
Bookshelf Size: 359
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanjus.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by sanjus »

The author seems to nicely share the devastating mental effects that had she experienced after a traumatic childhood accident in form of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder , which may help others if suffering from similar problems. I found your review quite insightful.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- I believe this is my own quote. If someone quoted this before I am glad to know.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

sanjus wrote:
10 Feb 2020, 08:06
The author seems to nicely share the devastating mental effects that had she experienced after a traumatic childhood accident in form of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder , which may help others if suffering from similar problems. I found your review quite insightful.
Thank you.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”