Review by Paul78 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Paul78
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 6
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 54
2017 Reading Goal: 8
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 37
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading: The Power of Thanksgiving
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Review by Paul78 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn zones, playing life’s bad hands, by Jorge P. Newbery, is a 10-chapter autobiography that describes the life and challenges faced by the author. He describes a burn zone, like that moment in a race where the pressure to give up is highest. At an early age, he distributed newspapers and later became an ice-cream vendor. His interracial family was always lending the much support he needed. His Argentine father, for instance, assisted him to acquire the official suit for his first formal job as a loans officer.

Jorge P. Newbery is a man who can be said to have faced it all. Undoubtedly having a close shave on several times with the police in their quest to put him behind bars for the most flimsy excuses, to the grand fight with the Columbia city authorities and biased press over the Woodland meadows complex, it appeared as if he was a marked man. Nevertheless, he always found a way of coming out of these burn zones as if unscathed. The prolific author skillfully addresses the race equation that appears far from being solved in the United States of America. From this title, he not only saw crime levels reduce but former felons being given a new lease of life.

Burn Zones shows sheer determination and willingness of a man facing different challenges and learning new things. Despite dropping out of college, I am convinced that Jorge P. Newbery had more learning opportunities than his school counterparts. One sees his life play a movie scene, with the lyrics in the autobiography acting as the background music. His engagements in diverse fields of life undoubtedly left many people positively impacted.

The language used in the book is simple to comprehend. There are a few vulgar words used here and there. In spite of this, the whole theme of the book is well preserved. One thing I love about this book is its ability to leave a pleasant memory in the mind of the reader. The drama and lessons drawn here are too significant to be easily forgotten. It would be important to note that the book appears to have enjoyed the services of a professional editor. It explains why I haven’t found any grammatical mistakes on this piece of work.

I have no reservation in my recommendation for this title. However, young people from humble backgrounds would be inspired upon reading this book. Therefore, I would gladly give the Burn Zones four out of four stars ratings.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin

mary-annef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-annef.html
Latest Review: Long Walk on a Dry Road by Jon Kaufman

Post by mary-annef »

Nice review. "The prolific author skillfully addresses the race equation that appears far from being solved in the United States of America". I agree that he dealt with a complicated issue very skillfully. He gets his message across without making it the focus of the book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”