Review by Marty_Kelly -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Marty_Kelly
2019 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marty-kelly.html
Latest Review: Last Words from Above by Jeremy Brown

Review by Marty_Kelly -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Marty_Kelly »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jorge P. Newbery’s Burn Zones is a complete package that is ideal for everyone. It contains motivational and inspirational thoughts; stories and lessons about business, society, discrimination, and family.

It is an autobiographical work that covers essentially, episodes from Jorge Newbery’s first business venture, namely newspaper distribution, when he was just seven, through his dabble into professional cycling till his toughest burn zone, the Woodland Meadows. After besting so many challenges, Newbery is faced with not just another challenge waiting to be surmounted but one that carries the threat of bankruptcy and steeps him in debt. He starts out on a journey of self-development and fulfilment and evolves to become a transformer of lives but life is not a bed of roses.

According to Robert Schuller, “Tough times never last but tough people do.” Determination is one of the driving forces of Newbery, his desire to be the best of himself in whatever he engages in serves as one of his greatest strengths. However, one irony in life is that our greatest strength is sometimes our greatest weakness. So we see Newbery’s desire and determination – his greatest strength – keep him from quitting when he ought to. Still, no matter what he went through, even though at some point he might rue his initial decision to acquire Woodland Meadows, a fact that cannot be denied is that his involvement with the venture helped transformed lives through the TEACH program.

True to the quote by Nelson Mandela cited towards the ending of the book, "The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fail." Greatness lies in the ability to rise again from the cold ash after going out like a candle in the wind. The book is totally engrossing from the beginning to the end and every part of it has something new to teach. One important gem (out of many) to take away from the book is the ability to learn from every encounter.

What I particularly like about the book is the author’s objectiveness in accepting his mistakes such as when he quitted cycling after the unfortunate event at the Mexico Tour and also his failure to open up to his father during his trying period. Other very likeable things about Burn Zones include the good flow of narration which is not devoid of humour, the fast pace of the book and Newbery’s ability to point out the “burn zones” in his narrative as well as the lessons from each. Unlike other books that deal with similar themes as Burn Zones, this book is written from the first-person point of view and that makes it very easy to relate to. That is the message of the book rolls out like a story instead of regular nonfiction books. In other words, “Thou shall not is soon forgotten but once upon a time is not.”

I give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars because it carries a vital message for those who go through its pages with open minds. Also, Burn Zones shows good editing and I did not encounter any errors while reading. I recommend the book to everyone especially lovers of inspirational and motivational books.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Currently Reading: The Massacre of Mankind
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Discredited Citizen by Robert Kiesling

Post by NetMassimo »

This book must be really good as I keep on seeing new 4-star reviews. The author's honest assessment of his choices is indeed interesting.
Ciao :)
Massimo

xoxoAnushka
2019 Reading Goal: 1
Favorite Book: "Better dead than divorced"
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xoxoanushka.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by xoxoAnushka »

I am glad that we both liked this book, as well as gave it a perfect score. Great review!

Marty_Kelly
Currently Reading:

Post by Marty_Kelly »

NetMassimo wrote:
16 Feb 2020, 04:56
This book must be really good as I keep on seeing new 4-star reviews. The author's honest assessment of his choices is indeed interesting.
Yeah, it's quite good. I personally find it very enlightening. Also, the fact that the author did his best to be objective in his approach also added to the appeal of the book. Thanks for reading.

Marty_Kelly
Currently Reading:

Post by Marty_Kelly »

xoxoAnushka wrote:
16 Feb 2020, 06:46
I am glad that we both liked this book, as well as gave it a perfect score. Great review!
Me too:) there was no way I could give it anything less than a perfect score because aside from enjoying it immensely, others need to read it too and learn a thing or two from it. Thanks:D

AvocaDebo621
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading: The Daily Stoic
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avocadebo621.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by AvocaDebo621 »

The book is a simple narrative of the author’s life and his experience, rather than a preachy “how-to guide” to instant success. Loved reading it. I really enjoyed your review. 🙂

Marty_Kelly
Currently Reading:

Post by Marty_Kelly »

AvocaDebo621 wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 21:20
The book is a simple narrative of the author’s life and his experience, rather than a preachy “how-to guide” to instant success. Loved reading it. I really enjoyed your review. 🙂
Thanks :) :) Yeah, the author did not go to the level of preaching like an omniscient achiever.

[Danielle]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielle.html
Latest Review: The Global Reconstruction Project by S. Cotton

Post by [Danielle] »

I have been debating on reading this book ever since it popped up as a book to review. However, I am not normally a non-fiction fan when reading for pleasure. It sounds like there are elements that are more story-driven, however, so maybe I'll give it a shot.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." - Albus Dumbledore

Marty_Kelly
Currently Reading:

Post by Marty_Kelly »

[Danielle] wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 14:28
I have been debating on reading this book ever since it popped up as a book to review. However, I am not normally a non-fiction fan when reading for pleasure. It sounds like there are elements that are more story-driven, however, so maybe I'll give it a shot.
I recommend you try it and hope you enjoy it too. :)

FreeTinker
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by FreeTinker »

I'm not really into reading this kind of books but your review has piqued my interest. Great review

Marty_Kelly
Currently Reading:

Post by Marty_Kelly »

FreeTinker wrote:
15 Jul 2020, 02:02
I'm not really into reading this kind of books but your review has piqued my interest. Great review
Thanks, I'm positive you will like it. You should read it.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”