Official Review: Pope Francis, Conscience of the World

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibetious
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 70
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 49
Currently Reading: Badajoz
Bookshelf Size: 927
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Official Review: Pope Francis, Conscience of the World

Post by Kibetious »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Pope Francis, Conscience of the World" by John Raymaker and Gerald Grudzen.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Pope Francis is committed to building bridges in a globalized but highly divided world. His words and actions demonstrate his commitment and love for the whole of humanity and the Earth. He has convincingly demonstrated unmatched and remarkable willingness to reach out to people of other faiths and the youth as well. This is evidenced by his visits to countries that would be described as majorly Islamic and holding talks with leaders of other faiths too. The various meetings he has held with the youths from various countries he has toured also reveal one who is prepared to assist the youths who feel isolated. Moreover, his dedication to the conservation of nature and the prevention of climate change is equally outstanding. One of his papers, ‘Laudato Si’, stresses on the need to reduce global emissions of carbon dioxide and other toxic gases and pollutants. His efforts have made him attract many passionate admirers as well as fierce critics.

Why has Pope Francis attracted both admirers and critics? How has the pope engaged the Middle East, Africa, and Latin America? What past practices and lessons are informing the actions of the pope? What are the roles of the Basic Christian Communities and Small Christian Communities in the current dispensation? What are the transformative roles of organized religion across the planet? These and many more questions are answered in this fascinating book.

Pope Francis, Conscience of the World: Building Needed Bridges in a Troubled World was co-authored by John Raymaker and Gerald Grudzen. The book was published by Hamilton Publishers. It is 153 pages long and contains nine chapters. The book describes the accomplishments of Pope Francis in leading interfaith dialogues and also in the fight against global climate change. It also introduces readers to other past and present contributors to the promotion of human welfare.

There are many things that I liked about the book. First, it addressed specific issues as they are. For example, the tendency for many to be absorbed in their own local situations and neglecting a more comprehensive global perspective was adequately described. The direct consequences of this narrow perspective were also given, especially in light of the refugee crisis and global warming. The book was also a result of research done carefully and sufficiently, and the authors included their references. I genuinely enjoy reading history, and thus I was thrilled to read about prominent historical figures and events. There were many enlightening and striking statements as well. One of them was the fact that interfaith understanding and harmony are essential for the future of humanity and nature.

There are things that I disliked in the book, though. To start with, the defense of the pope against his critics was given considerable attention. This, in turn, reduced the key focus on his outstanding achievements. There were also minor sections where the narration focused on the authors. For example, the authors stated in one paragraph that they are seeking to build ‘glocal’ bridges with Pope Francis. Such statements were scattered throughout the book. However, these issues did not detract from the general enjoyment of the book.

The language adopted in the book was straightforward. Editing was fairly done since I discovered a few grammatical errors. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars owing to the reasons stated above. I recommend it to all readers who want to learn more about Pope Francis’ achievements in addressing critical issues confronting the world. The book will also appeal to readers interested in interfaith dialogues and the roles of the Church in areas like good governance and environmental conservation.

Pope Francis, Conscience of the World
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

espo
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 401
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espo.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by espo »

Pope Francis surely is a character, and I am glad this book was written about him. Thanks for your insightful review!
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"

allbooked+
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 57
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allbooked.html
Latest Review: Battle Strong by Cindy Hiestand

Post by allbooked+ »

The Pope is always an influential person for all of society, whatever your beliefs, so it is always good to have him working on a global level to unite. Thank you for your insightful review of this book!

Amy747
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34

Post by Amy747 »

Im not religious but I have found pope francis to be different from most other religious leaders. I feel as though he really encompasses what religion is truly about.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”