Official Review: Dark Matters: by David Bouchier

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Democracy in America
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Eagle Woman's Bones by eelonqa K harris

Official Review: Dark Matters: by David Bouchier

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dark Matters:" by David Bouchier.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dark Matters is a work of nonfiction by David Bouchier. The book is made up of a series of related essays that comment on the culture, politics, and mindset of modern America. The different chapters cover topics like religion, sports, the pursuit of happiness, American optimism/pessimism, and how the Enlightenment both created and failed modern society. The author incorporates old and new ideas in his analysis of how the past has brought us to a disappointing present where irrationality rules.

This book quickly set itself apart from other political works I have read. The author doesn’t just list a series of opinions; he makes a compelling argument by analyzing the evidence present in the world around him. I guessed early on that the author was a professional writer and professor based on the way he presents his arguments, and I was pleased to find this was true. Bouchier, as an Englishman living in America, has a unique perspective on a society where he considers himself an “outsider”. Although much of the book is a dark reflection on America’s culture, the author intersperses harsh reality with comical truth and had me, a fellow “sports atheist”, actually laughing out loud while reading.

Although I appreciated the polished style of this book, I still found issues that led me to believe it wasn’t professionally edited. The variety of grammatical and typographical errors present had an effect on my view of the author’s credibility. Beyond this, some chapters wandered into the realm of simply listing the author’s thoughts with little evidence or analysis, although he always managed to bring his thoughts back into a coherent explanation of the big picture.

Based on the criteria above, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It presents an interesting and challenging view of American society, but I think it could use a critical editor to make it truly shine. Since the book is already covering a rather dry topic, I really appreciated the humor included. I will mention that I believe in welcoming opposing viewpoints, so the author’s borderline-insulting language wasn’t an issue for me, but readers who are sensitive to criticism of religion, Donald Trump, tradition, or sports culture may want to steer clear.

This book would be appropriate for adults, especially Americans. If you don’t mind harsh reality, strong opinions, and a healthy dose of philosophical quotations, you might enjoy this short read.

Dark Matters:
View: on Bookshelves

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 140
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Fix by Lily Temperley

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This sounds like an interesting take on American society; I like that the author is able to back up his points clearly and coherently. Thank you for the lovely review!
Latest Review: Fix by Lily Temperley

melissy370
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

Humor does help in these types of books. Still, I rather not read about anyone insulting someone else, no matter who they were. I will pass on this one. Thanks for your review.

Frances019
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frances019.html
Latest Review: The Morning Mind by Dr. Rob Carter III and Dr. Kirti Salwe Carter

Post by Frances019 »

this sounds interesting, and I could use more information on what's going on. thanks for the review.

Josephe-Anne
2019 Reading Goal: 6
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading: The Blue Sea Monster
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Darkness in Ronda by Paul S Bradley

Post by Josephe-Anne »

It's been a while since I've read any essays.

I'm not opposed to strong opinions that differ from mine. In fact, I like analyzing a topic from multiple viewpoints. However, it's unfortunate that there were so many errors.
:techie-studyinggray:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann

Amy747
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34

Post by Amy747 »

Thanks for your review. This book doesnt sound like something that would interest me as I usually prefer to read something more light hearted.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”