Official Review: Don't Quit by Kyle S. Reynolds

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Don't Quit by Kyle S. Reynolds

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Don't Quit" by Kyle S. Reynolds.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Don't Quit: The Jason Merkle Story is the true narrative of a remarkable young man's battle against terminal brain cancer by Kyle S. Reynolds. After Jason's first symptoms of hand tremors at the age of thirteen, a CT scan revealed excess fluid on his brain. Jason's mother took him to the hospital and insisted that her son receive an MRI. Halfway through the process, Jason was rushed to emergency surgery. The surgeon revealed that Jason's extreme hydrocephalus was due to blockage in the brain stem caused by a fingertip-sized benign tumor. Because it was at the base of the brain stem, the tumor was inoperable. During the emergency surgery, a tubular shunt was placed in Jason's head to "divert fluid away from the brain." In the following months, Jason's family consulted with several doctors; the consensus was that the tumor would probably remain benign. However, within six months, the shunt had to be replaced. Seven years later, his annual MRI revealed that the tumor had become malignant. The doctors gave Jason a prognosis of two to twelve months; he was only twenty. In this inspirational story, Reynolds shares Jason's courageous and positive attitude during his journey, his family's decision to seek alternative treatment, and their faith in God for healing.

The 168-page book is beautifully written, free from profanity, and exceptionally edited. Reynolds masterfully conveys the physical symptoms that Jason suffered and his family's relentless efforts to provide him with the best possible care. The family's faith played a major role in every step of their journey, but Reynolds also details their wise approach to seeking treatment for their son. For instance, they consulted well-known hospitals such as MD Anderson, Johns Hopkins, and Henry Ford Brain Tumor Center. While each "proposed a different recipe" of chemotherapy and radiation for Jason, none offered hope for his long-term survival. Jason's family concluded: "...there was absolutely no hope in going to any of these centers. None of these places had any record of survivors who had a condition similar to Jason's, except one: the Burzynski Clinic in Houston, Texas." Throughout the book, Reynolds poignantly shared each step of Jason's alternative treatment and also included the family's prayers and scriptural references.

There is a lot I liked about this heartwarming story. I particularly appreciated Reynolds’ honest portrayal of the rollercoaster of emotions Jason's family experienced as a result of his diagnosis, their decision to seek alternative treatment, and the doubts they wrestled. I also enjoyed Reynolds’ inclusion of stories that illustrated Jason's character as someone who exuded positivity and loved to play pranks on his brothers and friends. Additionally, the book's conclusion was written by Jason, who eloquently shared his gratitude and encouraged readers to live by faith.

There isn't anything I dislike about the book, but I will caution sensitive readers that portions are difficult to read. Reynolds doesn't sugarcoat Jason's illness, and understandably, there are references to his suffering, changes in his body, and bodily fluids.

I am pleased to rate Don't Quit 4 out of 4 stars. The frequent references to Jason's faith will primarily appeal to Christian readers. However, due to his family's successful approach to trusting their core beliefs and seeking alternative cancer treatments, the book may appeal to a larger audience. On the other hand, readers who dislike references to God and scriptures will probably prefer to pass on this one.

Don't Quit
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
adamgreenrock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamgreenrock.html
Latest Review: Away To Me, My Love by Naomi McDonald

Post by adamgreenrock »

Cancer will always be something hard to stomach in. It happens to people eventually. It's nice that there're people who share their stories about the struggle of having one.

While the religious aspect is not my thing, I'll probably give this book a shot. Thanks for your review!
Shabram22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shabram22.html
Latest Review: Breaking the Chain by Patricia Rossi

Post by Shabram22 »

It's so hard to read these types of stories. I am glad that people share their experiences going through difficult periods of their lives and encourage others going through similar trials. Thanks for your heartwarming review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

adamgreenrock wrote: 05 Feb 2020, 01:49 Cancer will always be something hard to stomach in. It happens to people eventually. It's nice that there're people who share their stories about the struggle of having one.

While the religious aspect is not my thing, I'll probably give this book a shot. Thanks for your review!
Thanks for your comment. :tiphat:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Shabram22 wrote: 05 Feb 2020, 04:20 It's so hard to read these types of stories. I am glad that people share their experiences going through difficult periods of their lives and encourage others going through similar trials. Thanks for your heartwarming review.
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Thank you for the lovely review! This book sounds like it would be a very emotional read.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 05 Feb 2020, 08:41 Thank you for the lovely review! This book sounds like it would be a very emotional read.
Thank you, Stephanie!
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

This wouldn't be a typical read for me, but I am curious how Jason's faith helped him through his difficult time. I would give this book a try. Thanks for your review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow. This sounds so emotional. I want to read this, but I'm not sure I could make it all the way through. Jason sounds so inspirational. Thanks for a review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
pawiss
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by pawiss »

Cancer will always be something hard to stomach in. It happens to people eventually. It's nice that there're people who share their stories about the struggle of having one.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 05 Feb 2020, 20:03 Wow. This sounds so emotional. I want to read this, but I'm not sure I could make it all the way through. Jason sounds so inspirational. Thanks for a review.
Thank you. I appreciate your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

melissy370 wrote: 05 Feb 2020, 12:36 This wouldn't be a typical read for me, but I am curious how Jason's faith helped him through his difficult time. I would give this book a try. Thanks for your review.
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I am so torn on the one hand I want to read this but on the other hand, I know that it will wreck me. This is certainly an emotional read. Great review!
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 11:32 I am so torn on the one hand I want to read this but on the other hand, I know that it will wreck me. This is certainly an emotional read. Great review!
I will say that the overall message is positive and uplifting. Thanks for your comment.
readerrihana
Currently Reading: Cute tooth decay
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerrihana.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by readerrihana »

Sounds like a very moving story and i am sure it io s a good read, but i think i might not be able to handle reading it, since just reading the review brought me to tears...i don't like reading of hearing about people's suffering

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”