Review by khaulah -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: Alibi Island by SLMN

Review by khaulah -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by khaulah »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In his autobiography, Burn Zones: Playing At Life’s Bad Hands, Jorge P Newbery describes life’s problematic situations as “Burn Zones” which he believed he could overcome with hard work, endurance, and determination. Indeed, he overcomes the burn zones in his life with optimism, until disaster strikes in the form of a natural disaster.

An extremely focussed, goal-oriented and hard-working individual, Jorge depicts work as his play. It is evident from the fact that he starts earning money right from the age of seven, delivering newspapers for the Herald, and then, the Evening Outlook, every day. Saving money from delivering newspapers, Jorge now 11, brings a tricycle for selling ice-cream and then works as a bus-boy. Wanting to experience real-life challenges, he drops out of school to start a record company. He doesn’t stop there, inspired by the Olympics, he sets a new goal for himself: To be a bike racer. He doesn’t make it to the Olympics but races bicycles for a living. Developing bronchitis, prompts him to leave bike racing. After getting a real estate license, he gets a job as a loan originator. Some years later, he starts his own mortgage company with his partner Darin. A few years later, he starts brokering houses foreclosed by the U.S. Department Of Housing And Development(HUD), becoming the ”number one HUD REO broker” in the country, selling over 600 properties in 1999.

He experiences the most difficult burn-zone of his life when an ice-storm hits one of his property, the woodland meadows, a 1,100 unit apartment complex in Columbus, Ohio. He loses everything overnight. Now, $26 million in debt, Jorge is despondent. He doesn’t file for bankruptcy, unable to accept his failure. The remainder of the book is about how he overcomes this burn-zone of his life, helping not only himself but also other people.

From his work ethics to aiding other people, Jorge is likable. He learned from adversity. The most touching part of the book for me was Jorge genuinely helping hundreds of African-Americans improve their lives. I got so much involved in his story that his failure felt personal. The book also has glimpses of the 80’s punk era.

I loved this book, which is why I’m rating it 4 out of 4 stars. It must have been edited professionally as I didn’t find any grammatical errors. There are some instances of swearing and no explicit content.

I would recommend this book to people committed to a path of self-improvement or people who enjoy reading autobiographies.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

AvocaDebo621
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading: The Daily Stoic
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avocadebo621.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by AvocaDebo621 »

The book is a simple narrative of the author’s life and his experience, rather than a preachy “how-to guide” to instant success. Loved reading it. I really enjoyed your review. 🙂

khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

AvocaDebo621 wrote:
02 Mar 2020, 03:56
The book is a simple narrative of the author’s life and his experience, rather than a preachy “how-to guide” to instant success. Loved reading it. I really enjoyed your review. 🙂
Thank you! :oops:

[Danielle]
2019 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielle.html
Latest Review: The Global Reconstruction Project by S. Cotton

Post by [Danielle] »

I have been debating on reading this book ever since it popped up as a book to review. However, I am not normally a non-fiction fan when reading for pleasure. It sounds like there are elements that are more story-driven, however, so maybe I'll give it a shot.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." - Albus Dumbledore

khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

[Danielle] wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 14:35
I have been debating on reading this book ever since it popped up as a book to review. However, I am not normally a non-fiction fan when reading for pleasure. It sounds like there are elements that are more story-driven, however, so maybe I'll give it a shot.
Happy reading🙂

Nkoo
Currently Reading: 50 Fabulous Women
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: How to Live Sanely in an Insane World by F. Willard Brown

Post by Nkoo »

It's great to know that the author helped a lot of African Americans improve their lives; he must have been a great person. Good to know that this book was well-edited and that you also enjoyed reading it. I enjoy reading autobiographies; I will add it to my shelf. Thanks.

khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

Nkoo wrote:
16 Mar 2020, 08:12
It's great to know that the author helped a lot of African Americans improve their lives; he must have been a great person. Good to know that this book was well-edited and that you also enjoyed reading it. I enjoy reading autobiographies; I will add it to my shelf. Thanks.
You're welcome 🙂

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”