Review by Kanda_theGreat -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kanda_theGreat
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Review by Kanda_theGreat -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newberry is a non-fiction book, which gives an account of the author's rise and fall in his business ventures. Jorgie, as his father fondly called him, referred to these experiences as "playing life's bad hands". His bicycle riding experiences made him look at the burn zones as stepping stones to success. He, therefore, successfully solves the problems that he meets on his way his way up the real estate business. In his introduction, he says that burn zones were, "Relatively short periods of extraordinary effort that separated the winners and losers. Burn zones could include a long climb or a section with major crosswinds in which those skilled in riding in an echelon formation excelled."

Newberry begins his book with an introduction, where he hints at what the book is all about. This is proceeded by ten chapters which form the body of the memoir. The conclusion part of the book is a short note about Newberry, a summary of basically what has been explained in the ten chapters. Newberry has an ability to identify a market niche that will present him with a business opportunity. He began his rise to glory by delivering newspapers at a tender age of 11 years. He later dropped out once he clocked 16, when he decided to focus on his business.

Turning every challenge into a business opportunity, Newberry expanded his business investment into real estate business. He realized that he could make maximum profits by renovating residential apartments, whose owners had failed to maintain. He reformed what were once termed as "inhabitable zones" into the best housing facilities. However, his insatiable urge for greater challenges plummeted him into what he terms as the worst tragedy of his life. What was this tragedy? How did it change the course of his life? Will he recover from the incident?

Told from the first person point of view, Burn Zones has managed to create an intimate connection with its reader. I was emotionally engaged all through the author's story and visual imagery aided my reading of the book. Even when tragedy struck, tears welled up my eyes- I really sympathized with Newberry, especially after journeying with him from his grass to grace story. Vivid descriptions of events presented us with the author's impeccable problem-solving skills. He provided solutions to most problems instead of complaining about their magnitude. He presents himself as a strong character, capable of recovering from the lowest moments in life. His characterization revolved around his family and few acquaintances, whom he interacted with in his business deals.

The medium pace of the book ensured all the details were mentioned. The merit of this pace is that it enabled me to engage with the reader from his childhood age until he got married. He tackled racism, economic exploitation, societal reforms, friendship and family relations. There is nothing I did not like about the book and therefore, commend Newberry's efforts in writing the book. Newberry included photographs of his family members and some of the people that he worked with in his life. However, the book has profanity which could irritate conservative readers. I only found few grammatical errors, which did not distract my reading experience and can confidently conclude that it was professionally edited. I, therefore, wholeheartedly rate the book four out of four stars. I recommend it to anyone, who needs some form of motivation in life.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bet on Me! :idea:

Julius_
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

I've also read this book. I agree with you that the author seems hardworking from his childhood. Thanks for the review.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.

Kanda_theGreat

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

Julius_ wrote:
02 Feb 2020, 07:54
I've also read this book. I agree with you that the author seems hardworking from his childhood. Thanks for the review.
Thank you for passing by. 💫

Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 427
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: Don't Judge the Day by the Dawn by Erica L. Dretzka
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

I'm currently reading this book, and enjoying it so far! Thank you for your insightful review!
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"

Kanda_theGreat

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

espo wrote:
07 Feb 2020, 16:25
I'm currently reading this book, and enjoying it so far! Thank you for your insightful review!
I'm glad that you find it worth your time.
Thank you for passing by.💫

AvocaDebo621
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading: The Daily Stoic
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avocadebo621.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by AvocaDebo621 »

The book is a simple narrative of the author’s life and his experience, rather than a preachy “how-to guide” to instant success. Loved reading it. I really enjoyed your review. 🙂

Kanda_theGreat

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

AvocaDebo621 wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 21:25
The book is a simple narrative of the author’s life and his experience, rather than a preachy “how-to guide” to instant success. Loved reading it. I really enjoyed your review. 🙂
Thank you for the kind words.💫

Elmaestro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elmaestro.html
Latest Review: Let’s Mountain Bike! by Paul Molenberg

Post by Elmaestro »

Another insightful memoir! A book explaining how one ventured through businesses and failed... This is one for a read!

Kanda_theGreat

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

Elmaestro wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 07:28
Another insightful memoir! A book explaining how one ventured through businesses and failed... This is one for a read!
Thank you for leaving a comment.

Faye-dallon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faye-dallon.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Faye-dallon »

Motivationap book are always a yes from me. Thank you for the review.

Kanda_theGreat

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

Faye-dallon wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 06:12
Motivationap book are always a yes from me. Thank you for the review.
Thanks for commenting on this review.💫

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”