Review by DC Brown -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DC Brown
2019 Reading Goal: 55
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 89
2018 Reading Goal: 15
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 340
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: White Skin-Black Soul: A Family Book by Sandra Johnson

Review by DC Brown -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by DC Brown »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zones, by Jorge P. Newbery, tells of his entrepreneurial business life. The story is impressive, yet the title comes not from his business endeavors but his stint in competitive running. He defines a burn zone as hitting a wall and deciding to power through it. Or as he says, "Others around you are hurting just as much as you. Focus on enduring the pain until the pace slows. The effort will get easier soon." This positive attitude serves him well in his life story.

At the age of seven, he takes on the challenge of a paper route, convinced he could handle the responsibility and stress. Seven. Most children are glad they've learned how to read, not thinking of delivering the daily news to the neighborhood. This venture is not his most amazing accomplishment. At eleven, he becomes a business owner by buying an ice cream cart and selling ice cream in his community. As he gains confidence in himself, he moves from selling frozen desserts to record mogul to competitive running and then real estate.

He shares the successes and failures of his life. Right decisions and wrong, he does not sugar coat his business career. As he describes how he overcame hurdles, he also shares how others can use the same strategy in their own lives.

I especially liked that he didn't gloss over problems. Instead, he showed us how he was able to cope, even when that didn't go well. He takes responsibility for his actions, as demonstrated by this statement: "I got myself into trouble; I needed to get myself out. No one else was going to do that for me."I also appreciated that he acknowledged his support system. We all should recognize our need for support.

A quote he included from Margaret Mead that I found stimulating was, "Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have."I found that reflecting on that statement is an excellent idea and helped change my attitude.

The book does not contain any foul language, explicit sex, or violence. It is well written, includes few errors, and is appropriate for readers of all ages looking for a life story that will inspire. Young adults will find the struggles and successes inspiring. At times it feels like a self-help book, but that does not detract from its overall thrust. It is an informative look at business life with its ups and downs. I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. I found it enjoyable, educational, and helpful with its positive message.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

AvocaDebo621
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading: The Daily Stoic
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avocadebo621.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by AvocaDebo621 »

The book is a simple narrative of the author’s life and his experience, rather than a preachy “how-to guide” to instant success. Loved reading it. I really enjoyed your review. 🙂

DC Brown
Currently Reading:

Post by DC Brown »

AvocaDebo621 wrote:
01 Mar 2020, 18:06
The book is a simple narrative of the author’s life and his experience, rather than a preachy “how-to guide” to instant success. Loved reading it. I really enjoyed your review. 🙂
Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did! Thanks for stopping by!

[Danielle]
2019 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielle.html
Latest Review: The Global Reconstruction Project by S. Cotton

Post by [Danielle] »

I have been debating on reading this book ever since it popped up as a book to review. However, I am not normally a non-fiction fan when reading for pleasure. It sounds like there are elements that are more story-driven, however, so maybe I'll give it a shot.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." - Albus Dumbledore

DC Brown
Currently Reading:

Post by DC Brown »

[Danielle] wrote:
14 Mar 2020, 14:39
I have been debating on reading this book ever since it popped up as a book to review. However, I am not normally a non-fiction fan when reading for pleasure. It sounds like there are elements that are more story-driven, however, so maybe I'll give it a shot.
You might be surprised! It's not a dry read like many nonfiction I've read. Thanks for your comments :tiphat:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”