Review by pshaw1414 -- The Mindset by Ace Bowers

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
pshaw1414
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 240
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pshaw1414.html
Latest Review: Polyandress by Robyn Michaels

Review by pshaw1414 -- The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by pshaw1414 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Mindset" by Ace Bowers.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ace Bowers came from very humble beginnings, to say the least. His father was an alcoholic and argued with his mother on an almost nightly basis. Although he was able to mesh with any crowd and had plenty of friends, Ace never had people over to his place. He feared that everyone from his school would find out that his family was poor, or that his friends would witness his parents fighting and stop talking to him. His constant fear of embarrassment fueled his anxiety and at only sixteen, he was smoking a pack of cigarettes per day. With nobody to help with his tuition, Ace was left behind while his friends went off to college.

Bowers went on to get a minimum wage job as a janitor. He accumulated credit card debt, smoked cigarettes, and ate fast food. Suddenly, his girlfriend told him that she was pregnant, and everything changed. He quit smoking that day, lost 85 pounds, married his girlfriend, and worked odd jobs to save money. He constantly sought promotional opportunities and regardless of how well he was paid, he never allowed himself to be comfortable. Ace used his childhood hardships to motivate himself to find "the next big thing" so that his children would never have to live as he did when he was a child. Consequently, he became a multi-millionaire by the time he was 32 years old.

The Mindset: My Journey from Janitor to Silicon Valley Millionaire in Five Years is Ace Bowers' memoir, in which he discusses the power of an attitude adjustment. Bowers had to abandon the victim's mindset he developed growing up, and allow himself to take the steps necessary to be successful. Instead of feeling sorry for himself for the tribulations he faced in his youth, he used those experiences to fuel his efforts of bettering himself as a man, husband, and father.

My favorite part of The Mindset was when Ace compared his "millionaire moves" to the game of baseball. He and his father bonded over baseball when he was young. Ace explains how his father taught him that home runs are not the most important goal and that base hits are the real objective. In life, base hits are the small steps taken to achieve success, and they are the best way to win the game. He goes on to describe how he applied the fundamentals of baseball to his life as he climbed the financial ladder to becoming a multi-millionaire. I thought his application of positive childhood experiences to one of his most prominent adult achievements was very clever and inspiring.

The only thing I disliked about this book was Bowers' embarrassment of his family as a child. Throughout the entire book, Ace holds his parents accountable for his shame of being poor. I felt it was a bit unfair for him to be angry with them as an adult because when he grew up and had a family, his parents took them in and went on to be extremely supportive and wonderful grandparents. Apart from his mothers' mental illness, they seemed to have a lot of growth as individuals, and instead of holding onto his grudge, Ace should have been able to forgive and forget their mistakes.

In terms of quality, this memoir was exceptionally written. I didn't come across any grammatical errors or typos. I was very impressed with Bowers' attention to detail and the care he took with proofreading his book. I definitely believe that he had it edited professionally. Additionally, I was pleasantly surprised by how well Bowers was able to relay his story in just 93 short pages without making it seem rushed. His ability to tell a story concisely was truly remarkable. Based on the editing and the story itself, I am happy to give The Mindset 4 out of 4 stars. There was no profanity or eroticism throughout the text, making it suitable for all audiences. However, I would mostly recommend it to adult readers as I feel the content may bore younger audiences.

The Mindset
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”