Official Review: Broad Horizons

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LinaMueller
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 136
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: Broad Horizons by Donald "Sparky" Rodde

Official Review: Broad Horizons

Post by LinaMueller »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Broad Horizons" by Donald "Sparky" Rodde.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In late 2019, at the age of 94, the World War II veteran named Donald "Sparky" Rodde decided to release his biography. Broad Horizons tells the story of the author's own life and is divided into four parts. The first two parts describe his childhood and adolescence, and even his relationship with family and friends. The final two parts, in contrast, focus on Donald's participation in World War II.

I'm not particularly eager to start writing about what I didn't like, but in this case, that's what I should do. As important as it is to describe Donald's formative years, a biography should focus on the most exciting aspects of the author's life. Almost half of the book consists of Donald describing minor events such as family fishing trips and academic performance at school.

The other half of the book, as already mentioned in the first paragraph, discusses the author's participation in World War II (the best half of the book by far). At the beginning of the war, because he was still very young, Donald Rodde feared that the conflict would end before he could be ready to fight. In the end, he served as an aviation radioman and gunner aboard the Aircraft Carrier, USS Ben Franklin, CV13. Having killed 9 Japanese soldiers and given numerous examples of bravery and intelligence, his contribution to the war in the Pacific was significant. These achievements earned him the Distinguished Flying Cross. President Roosevelt personally decorated him.

From the first page of part 3 to the end of the book, Donald provides a clear picture of what happens behind the curtains during a massive war. That's the highlight of the book and my favorite part by far. Nevertheless, the author needs to make some changes to make Broad Horizons more interesting. He should focus on describing the details of the war. Instead, he preferred to keep writing pages and more pages about fishing. If I were the author, I would change that as soon as possible.

Besides, there are many grammatical errors in this book. It's undeniable that Broad Horizons needs another round of editing. Sentences lacking punctuation, misspelled words, and inconsistent punctuation are commonplace.

All told, Broad Horizons by Donald Sparky Rodde deserves three out of four stars. While I can understand the reasons why some draconian critics would give it two stars, that would be unfair. Due to editorial issues, I decided to take one star away. I found one derogatory term towards Japanese people and one other example of profanity ("bastard"). In a war context, this is not serious. When soldiers are struggling to survive, you cannot expect that they will treat their enemies politely. I recommend this book to anyone who has an interest in the conflict between the United States and Japan during World War II.

Broad Horizons
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson

Ever_Reading
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 11
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading: Hunting for silence
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ever-reading.html
Latest Review: The Open Door by Gary Luitjens
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ever_Reading »

Fewer stories about fishing and more war stories, please! It sounds like the better half of the book saved the day. I hope the author gets an editor on board soon. Thanks for the wonderful review!
Here’s to books, the cheapest vacation you can buy.
— Charlaine Harris :techie-studyingbrown:

Amy747
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34

Post by Amy747 »

It would be interesting to read about war from an insiders perspective and find out what really goes on.

cristinaro
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 451
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristinaro.html
Latest Review: Noonday Flower by Carla C. Ohse

Post by cristinaro »

I've always thought of the healing and recuperatory effect of war stories. Despite the apparently tedious first part, I'm sure the second half includes many interesting details on World War II as the author experienced it first hand. Thanks for your honest review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 69
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: The Will to Die by Joe Pulizzi

Post by Prisallen »

I hope the author takes your advice and makes some changes to the story, shortening the first section, as well as getting the errors fixed. If that happened, it sounds as if it would be an excellent book. Thanks for the great review, as always!

espo
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 401
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espo.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by espo »

I would be turned off by the fishing and academic stories too! Thank you for your great review.
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”