Official Review: A White Face Painted Brown

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsH2k
Favorite Book: The Oracle
Currently Reading: Gospel United
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: The Periodic Table of Character Traits by Michael Lawson

Official Review: A White Face Painted Brown

Post by MsH2k »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A White Face Painted Brown" by Kathleen Bishop.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kathleen Bishop wrote A White Face Painted Brown because she wanted to educate people on what it’s like to live in the ghetto. She admirably accomplished this goal.

Bishop is the oldest child of a Panama-born father and a Russian Jewish mother. She was born in Colorado and enjoyed a relatively happy childhood until her father walked out on the family, leaving four young children and an emotionally fragile, pregnant wife who was hospitalized the day he left. The children were immediately separated and sent to foster homes. Eventually, she and all of her siblings, including her newborn brother, were reunited with their mother. They had no access to income from any family members, so they moved to California. When they arrived in Los Angeles, Social Services sent them to live in the Aliso Village housing project, which borders East Los Angeles.

From the age of six, the author lived in the ghetto. Her neighbors, friends, and classmates were the fellow Mexican and African American residents of the housing project. The author discussed the complexity of being the only white person among her friends and how she became comfortable seeing nothing but black and brown faces around her.

The title of the book was taken from an incident when the author bought makeup for the first time. As she applied the shade that she requested, which was much darker than her skin, the salesclerk tried to persuade her to get a lighter shade, but she was mesmerized by the color of it on her skin—it looked like all her friends. She bought the dark foundation.

This memoir is less than 200 pages and comprises forty-four brief stories that are snapshots of the author’s life. They are divided into sections with topics including the poor educational environment, substandard medical facilities, slow emergency response, and the racist comments and actions by people that did not live in the ghetto. It was particularly discouraging to witness those who were supposed to help—teachers, doctors, police officers, and social workers—consistently shirk their responsibilities and ignore the needs of this community.

The author has a writing style that is descriptive but no frills, which complements the setting in which the stories take place. What I liked most about this book was how the author embraced the relationships she made while living in the ghetto. She was not content with the quality of life they were forced to endure, but she loved her friends and her neighbors.

When Bishop moved out of the ghetto and went to college, she tried to hide her Aliso Village background from her teachers because she felt they would not understand. But, much like an accent, you can’t always hide something that is a part of you. Her professor in a Mexican American studies class was intrigued by a paper that Bishop wrote. He asked her where she was from and how she knew so much about Mexican Americans. When she did not answer, he laughed and said she even walked like a Mexican woman. His observation fit Bishop’s life. She grew up in the ghetto and embraced her relationships there, but she was not bound by the trappings of her environment.

One thing I disliked about this book was that I found it difficult to understand the author’s family background. The stories about her parents and grandparents were sometimes vague, and there were many family-related events crammed into only a few narratives. However, this memoir was more about the author’s life in the ghetto than her personal family life, so this issue was not a distraction.

I rate A White Face Painted Brown 4 out of 4 stars. The editing was impeccable. I found only one grammatical error in this book. There were descriptions of medical emergencies and mild violence in fitting with the setting, but there were no erotic scenes and very little profanity. If any adult would like to understand what ghetto life is like, Bishop is an articulate, caring guide. I particularly recommend this book to those in service-oriented fields. It may help to uncover and address areas of bias in dealing with people from underprivileged environments. If you would rather not feel the pain and frustration of reading about a neighborhood that is brutally neglected and ignored, I would advise you to skip this read.

A White Face Painted Brown
View: on Bookshelves

Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Magnify3 »

I do think that I would read this book. It would be interesting to learn what she went through. Thanks, I really enjoyed your review!

Juliet+1
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: Dragon Bones and Dao
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: A Prince of a King by Gene Abravaya

Post by Juliet+1 »

Sounds like a memoir well worth reading. I wonder if the author felt inspired to use her further education to help the situation in her old neighborhood. Thanks for a great review.

MsH2k

Post by MsH2k »

Magnify3 wrote: ↑
03 Feb 2020, 08:32
I do think that I would read this book. It would be interesting to learn what she went through. Thanks, I really enjoyed your review!
It is a great book and easy to read. I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for stopping by!

MsH2k

Post by MsH2k »

Juliet+1 wrote: ↑
03 Feb 2020, 16:50
Sounds like a memoir well worth reading. I wonder if the author felt inspired to use her further education to help the situation in her old neighborhood. Thanks for a great review.
Yes, she is very committed to improving her old neighborhood. This book is part of her efforts. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

Julius_
Bookshelves Moderator
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Broadsword
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: On the Third Day by King Lizzard

Post by Julius_ »

A nice novel about the life in the ghetto. I enjoy your reviews. Thanks.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.

MsH2k

Post by MsH2k »

Julius_ wrote: ↑
04 Feb 2020, 04:41
A nice novel about the life in the ghetto. I enjoy your reviews. Thanks.
Thanks for your kind comment.

sanjus
2019 Reading Goal: 21
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 56
Currently Reading: Charles' Story
Bookshelf Size: 359
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanjus.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by sanjus »

The author seems to have done a nice job by giving us a glimpse of what it’s like to live in the ghetto. Thanks for your quite insightful review about this book.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- I believe this is my own quote. If someone quoted this before I am glad to know.

Shabram22
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shabram22.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Shabram22 »

Although I'm not too fond of memoirs, this one interested me. Thank you for your review!

Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Loved Caravaggio by Belle Ami

Post by Manali_DC »

A very interesting title and sounds like a very interesting story. Thanks for a great review! This book is going on my " to-read" list!

MsH2k

Post by MsH2k »

sanjus wrote: ↑
05 Feb 2020, 01:46
The author seems to have done a nice job by giving us a glimpse of what it’s like to live in the ghetto. Thanks for your quite insightful review about this book.
She gave an honest account of her experience, and the writing was impeccable. Thanks for stopping by!

MsH2k

Post by MsH2k »

Shabram22 wrote: ↑
05 Feb 2020, 04:43
Although I'm not too fond of memoirs, this one interested me. Thank you for your review!
It had less of a memoir feel because it really was more about ghetto life than her life. Her stories spoke for themselves. I hope you decide to check it out. Thanks for your comment.

MsH2k

Post by MsH2k »

Manali_DC wrote: ↑
05 Feb 2020, 05:55
A very interesting title and sounds like a very interesting story. Thanks for a great review! This book is going on my " to-read" list!
I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for stopping by!

readerrihana
Currently Reading: Cute tooth decay
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerrihana.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by readerrihana »

Sounds like a very interesting read, and the review is clear and informative, thanks

MsH2k

Post by MsH2k »

readerrihana wrote: ↑
06 Feb 2020, 20:23
Sounds like a very interesting read, and the review is clear and informative, thanks
Thanks for stopping by!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”