Official Review: Why Whistle-Blowers Hesitate

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nickolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Medical Intimacy by Dr. Charles Coram

Official Review: Why Whistle-Blowers Hesitate

Post by Nickolas Farmakis »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Why Whistle-Blowers Hesitate" by Robert D. Durrett,.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Why Whistle-Blowers Hesitate by Robert D. Durrett is the author’s memoir, giving details about the challenges he faced as a whistle-blower. The author explains the events that caused him to become a whistle-blower, while he also describes the legal battle he fought for two years before he finally won his case against his former boss. The author writes in an informal, direct style, engaging the reader in the story.

The writer begins the memoir by describing his childhood experiences, such as his repeat of the first grade. The author learned that it is worth it to follow the law, as many unfortunate events occurred in his life, due to his disobedience towards the law. The author also explains how his upbringing and his Christian faith added a sense of stubbornness to his character that, which in turn helped him become a whistle-blower and win the legal battles. The writer also includes information about meeting his wife during a gathering in university and his love for her. Lastly, the author also writes about his battle against lymphoma, which led to his treatment and his cure.

The book contained numerous positive characteristics. More specifically, I liked the fact that the author utilized linguistic devices and narrative techniques, such as dialogue, which grasped the reader’s attention, giving the reader a clear image of the events unfolding in the story. The book was professionally edited, as I only found a single objective error in the entire text. What I liked most in this book was the fact that the writer followed a logical, coherent, and rational structure, allowing the reader to easily follow along the memoir.

Nevertheless, I also encountered a negative attribute in the text. Namely, what I disliked most was that the writer was repetitive in some cases, adding irrelevant details to the memoir, thereby giving the text a boring and monotonous mood.

This book is best suited for older, Christian readers that are whistle-blowers or are thinking of becoming whistle-blowers. Older readers will enjoy this book more, as they will relate to the author, who grew up during the 1940s. Christian readers will also enjoy this book, as the writer has added some Biblical verses in the book.

All in all, I rate this book with 3 out of 4 stars. I did not give this book a perfect rating because it was repetitive, monotonous, and boring in some cases, due to irrelevant details. However, a lower rating would have been unfair, as the author has created an original, interesting memoir.

Why Whistle-Blowers Hesitate
View: on Bookshelves

xoxoAnushka
2019 Reading Goal: 1
Favorite Book: "Better dead than divorced"
Currently Reading: That Guy What Kill Topsy
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xoxoanushka.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by xoxoAnushka »

I really like the way you've summarized the plot. It seems like an intriguing memoir. Nice review!

allbooked+
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 57
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allbooked.html
Latest Review: Battle Strong by Cindy Hiestand

Post by allbooked+ »

I like the original thought for this memoir. Thanks for the informative review!

Amy747
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34

Post by Amy747 »

Im glad there are people like the author who stand up for whats right, no matter what.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”