Review by Julius_ -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Julius_
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Review by Julius_ -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Julius_ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zones: Playing Life’s Bad Hands by Jorge. P. Newbery is a motivational memoir following the life of the author, Jorge, from the childhood struggles to a multimillionaire and his ultimate fall. He defines “Burn Zones” as relatively short periods of an extraordinary effort that separate the winners and losers. For instance, in bicycle racing, a burn zone would be a period when one is cycling uphill, when the feet really hurt, or downhill when the cyclist has to struggle with steering the bicycle.

Jorge started a newspaper delivery job when he was only seven. He was formally employed when he was eleven and started an ice cream business when he was thirteen. Growing up, he was very determined and dedicated to his job, despite several discouraging remarks by his close friend and family about his age. After finishing high school, he declined to join any college and focused on making lots of money. He started a music recording company where he also interviewed popular musicians. He also acquired a stage where artists could perform their music. After an interruption by the police, he later, together with his friends, formed a band. With the earnings from his band, he started buying and leasing used buildings at a profit. His acquisition of the Woodland Meadows, an 1100-unit apartment in Columbus, Ohio, marked his downfall. From a millionaire to tens of millions of debts.

This book carries a mixture of emotions. I could celebrate whenever the author was doing well and grieve whenever he became broke and bankrupt, whenever the police harassed him and his friends, or whenever he was facing discrimination because of his skin color. Since the events covered in this book happened between the late 90s to around 2013, I realized that racial discrimination hasn’t been fully eradicated. The police still view African Americans as criminals and often lock up even the innocent.

Apart from getting motivated and starting to view life from a more positive perspective, this book made me learn valuable virtues. Some of these virtues are honestly and dedication to one’s work. This book was also well written, with subheadings which made it very easy to read. Since I didn’t find any grammatical errors, it was well edited too.

There was one major disappointment that I encountered. On page seventeen, the author lists some reviews of his work as he interviewed some popular musicians. He says that shavedeneck.com posted the whole interview online. Since this is a non-fiction book, I checked the website. The first words I saw at the top of the website were very gross, mostly adult contents. I didn’t search the site further for the recording.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Although I got disappointed by the website, it is not part of the book and, therefore, can’t affect my ratings. I recommend it to people who enjoy reading realistic success stories where there are periods of success and failures. There is no specific group of people that won't find the book helpful.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.

Elvis Ondijo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-ondijo.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Elvis Ondijo »

Well done,brief and to the point,the review is of the required standard

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 86
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 364
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Raven Book 1 : Birth Into Darkness by WJR Parks

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like an interesting book. It could be quite inspirational. I'm very confused about the website included in the book. I don't think I'm going to check it out to see what's what. Thanks!
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

Kanda_theGreat
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

This happens to be my latest review too and I couldn't right better.
Amazing review!
Bet on Me! :idea:

AvocaDebo621
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading: The Daily Stoic
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avocadebo621.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by AvocaDebo621 »

The book is a simple narrative of the author’s life and his experience, rather than a preachy “how-to guide” to instant success. Loved reading it. I really enjoyed your review. 😊

[Danielle]
2019 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielle.html
Latest Review: The Global Reconstruction Project by S. Cotton

Post by [Danielle] »

I have been debating on reading this book ever since it popped up as a book to review. However, I am not normally a non-fiction fan when reading for pleasure. It sounds like there are elements that are more story-driven, however, so maybe I'll give it a shot.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." - Albus Dumbledore

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”