Review by MaLingle -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MaLingle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malingle.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Review by MaLingle -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by MaLingle »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zones, by author Jorge Newbery, was a captivating read from start to finish. It has been my experience that many people have dreams and desires of greatness. However, few are able to articulate, participate and achieve as many remarkable life goals as this author.

From the start of his story as a seven-year-old who wants to be a newspaper delivery boy, through current day as a top business mogul, financial advisor, author and speaker, Jorge Newbery fascinates us with his ability to see an opportunity, which he may know little to nothing about, and grow those opportunities into life advancing and life changing scenarios not only for himself, but for others that he encounters along the way.

His story of determination, and self-reliance stem from a strong supportive family. While reading about his early years as a paper delivery boy, an ice cream delivery boy, up to and including a record producer, all before the age that most children graduate from high school, it was clear that without his parents understanding, he would not have the head start that was afforded to him. In today's society when parents are often distracted following their own desires and dreams, Jorge's parents were with him every step of the way assisting in whatever idea Jorge was working diligently to succeed at. From wrapping newspapers, to driving for ice cream pick up, or even stuffing cassette jackets, he clearly knew that his parents were supportive and invested in his success.

When Jorge started a new venture, his first goal was to always find out as much about the subject as he possibly could. By reading books, interviewing people, and searching out those that he thought he could learn from. Many great ideas fail today because of lack of understanding and planning. When it comes time to execute, many simply set out in a mindset of just figuring things out along the way.

While Jorge states many times in his recounting of new ventures that he did not always have the answers, he made sure that he knew people that did. Another key to being successful, is surrounding yourself with people that can assist you in your areas of weakness, and Jorge exemplified this in all areas of his personal and professional entrepreneurial undertakings.

I was struck by the amount of patience and persistence the author had in regard to holding on long term, to finding and implementing solutions for situations, even if it caused him financial or personal loss. For example, while training, for bike or foot races, he spent countless hours training and pushing himself through the "burn zones". However, before you can push yourself through a "burn zone" you need to recognize your physical, mental and spiritual stamina, and be prepared for the next highest level of personal performance. As he demonstrated repeatedly, you can not grow comfortable with discomfort, but must embrace it, seeking it out on the journey, and then attacking it, in order to make the most progress.

This story is one that will convince you to stop dreaming. To start planning. To put movement to your dreams. Find a support system, discover all you can about your dream. Turn the dream into a vision. Then fight with all you have to sustain your new vision thus making it a reality!

I give Burn Zones a 4 out of 4-star review. The author is engaging, allows himself to be frank and open as he shares his life in a manner that is conversational, and engaging. I felt the book was encouraging to all that have dreams of doing something that is perhaps out of the norm for them or in a "burn zone". It would be my hope that after reading this book others would feel inspired to follow their dreams. In reading this book, I did not find any grammatical or spelling errors. The book was well organized, provided a great story, but also great insight and inspiration.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

AvocaDebo621
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading: The Daily Stoic
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avocadebo621.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by AvocaDebo621 »

The book is a simple narrative of the author’s life and his experience, rather than a preachy “how-to guide” to instant success. Loved reading it. I really enjoyed your review. 🙂

[Danielle]
2019 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielle.html
Latest Review: The Global Reconstruction Project by S. Cotton

Post by [Danielle] »

I have been debating on reading this book ever since it popped up as a book to review. However, I am not normally a non-fiction fan when reading for pleasure. It sounds like there are elements that are more story-driven, however, so maybe I'll give it a shot.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." - Albus Dumbledore

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”