Review by Julius_ -- The Biblical Clock

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Julius_
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Review by Julius_ -- The Biblical Clock

Post by Julius_ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Biblical Clock" by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God’s plan by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon is a non-fiction book trying to connect the scientific theories, facts and pieces of evidence to the biblical stories.

It comprises of twelve chapters, divided into three parts. The first part, Beginnings, and Timelines, tries to relate the scientific claim that the universe is about 12.8 billion years to the biblical claims that the universe is less than 6,000 years old. The author does this by referring to the writings of Isaac Ben Samuel and Kaplan. Part two, Endings, is just a continuation of part one. Only that this time, the emphasis is laid on the age of other components of the universe such as the sun, plants, and Humanity. This is done by relating what the Bible says to what scientific research says. While the first two parts focused mainly on the writings of Isaac Ben Samuel and those of Kaplan, part three, Beyond The Timelines, makes most of its references to the works of Moses Ben Noah.

Most atheists and non-religious people mainly used scientific research and shreds of evidence to trash religion and its believers. Instead of discrediting religious views or scientific views, the author of this book comes clear and shows that these theories complement each other. Reading this book, I felt years of hard work and thorough research spent by the author in composing it, with multiple references to historical events, going back to the events that transpired in the 11th century.

I liked the intensity of research carried out by the author, as reflected by the contents of this book. With multiple references to the scripture and historical data, the author blends these seemingly opposite theories to form one theory with different sources that complement each other. I also liked that this book didn't discredit any religious views or scientific findings. This means that no one will feel offended by this book. Since I didn’t find any grammatical errors, this book was adequately edited.

Let me clarify that this book was well written and the points and opinions well presented. My dislikes are only because of my personal taste. This book was written from a religious point of view. This means that the author focussed on interpreting religious contents and bending them to fit what scientific research states. The author assumed that most of the readers understood the different prevailing scientific findings but are not conversant with the religious texts, hence he spent most of the time explaining the religious scriptures without putting equal energy in explaining the scientific ones. The way the author explains events that happened in the 11th century, step by step, makes me doubt their authenticity.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This is because my dislikes were only because of my personal preferences and may not affect other readers. I recommend this book to people interested in knowing how science relates to religion. This is not a light read though. It took me more time than I expected. Anyone looking for something short, like a weekend read, may get disappointed.

The Biblical Clock
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

I'll skip this book because of the evident tendency by the author to justify religion.
Thank you for the helpful review.💫
Bet on Me! :idea:
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: The Weight of Salt by Sandra Montanino
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

This sounds like a tough book to get through - but I'm glad you rated it 4 out of 4 stars. Thank you for a very insightful and well-written review!
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
Julius_
Currently Reading:

Post by Julius_ »

Kanda_theGreat wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 04:36 I'll skip this book because of the evident tendency by the author to justify religion.
Thank you for the helpful review.💫
Thanks for stopping by and commenting
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
Julius_
Currently Reading:

Post by Julius_ »

espo wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 13:22 This sounds like a tough book to get through - but I'm glad you rated it 4 out of 4 stars. Thank you for a very insightful and well-written review!
Indeed it was a tough one, but it was well-written. Thanks once more for always reading my reviews.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
2021 Reading Goal: 60
Currently Reading: Mac & Beth
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Lion’s Share by Dr Yusra Said Ammar

Post by NetMassimo »

From your review, I'm afraid the author is on a slippery slope. I mean, the point of science is that its results work whether you believe it or not, if you try to bend science it simply doens't work anymore. In fields such as history there are controversies that are due precisely because there are researchers who try to bend historical facts to their view. The situation is made more complicated because historical facts can be incomplete, leaving room for interpretation. Concerning the universe, scientists investigate its origin trying to measure its age, and they go where data brings them without considering religious answers because they can't be investigated.

Thank you for explaining what this book is about!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Shabram22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shabram22.html
Latest Review: Breaking the Chain by Patricia Rossi

Post by Shabram22 »

I agree with you that this book is not a light read and that the author put years of work into this book. I really enjoyed reading your review.
bookreviewmi1111
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewmi1111.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by bookreviewmi1111 »

If someone is interested in the Bible and wants to explore more about new opinions about it, this book sounds like an interesting one to read. Thanks for the review.
Ndiviwe
2021 Reading Goal: 15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ndiviwe.html
Latest Review: Money Faucet by Joe Calderwood

Post by Ndiviwe »

As a Christian I'm definitely going to give this book a read, I'm actually very excited about it. It sounds like a exceptionally interesting read and would streght my faith even more and help me answer some of my questions I have or bring about more questions

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”