Official Review: Waste Not, Borrow Not by Takako Daniel

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Democracy in America
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Eagle Woman's Bones by eelonqa K harris

Official Review: Waste Not, Borrow Not by Takako Daniel

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Waste Not, Borrow Not" by Takako Daniel.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Waste Not, Borrow Not by Takako Daniel is a nonfiction book designed to help the reader find money they didn’t know they had. The author covers ways the reader might be able to save money in different areas of their life. Then, she moves on to talk about what to do with the money they have saved.

I really appreciated the author’s kind and welcoming tone throughout the book. She is not harsh or judgmental, and she treats the reader like a friend who asked for advice. Many of the suggestions in the book would be easy to follow through on. However, I found myself wondering how many people would be willing to do what the author suggests in order to save money. For example, she says to turn your thermostat to 68 degrees Fahrenheit or below in the winter and 78 or higher in the summer. I know many individuals who would not agree to do this, so this suggestion may only be useful for those who live alone and can choose the temperature of their home.

The author begins the book with a chapter on budgeting and ends it with a chapter on investing, which I thought was a unique way to help the reader take charge of their own finances. Many books with financial advice assume how much money the reader has, but this book includes advice and suggestions for people in a variety of financial situations. The chapter on budgeting could be applied to households below the poverty line and those making $1 million or more each year. However, some chapters will not be relevant for everyone because they focus on specific situations. For example, there is a chapter dedicated to women who wish to quit their jobs and become stay-at-home moms. Some readers may find themselves skipping chapters and skimming others to find the information they need.

Overall, I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The advice in it was easy to follow, and I appreciated how people in different financial circumstances could apply the author’s suggestions to their lives. Unfortunately, I don’t believe the book was professionally edited, and I think many readers would choose to skip at least one chapter in the book because they already have a certain skill or because they don’t think the advice will apply to them.

I would recommend this book for adults who hope to improve their financial circumstances. Whether you are in debt, have bad credit, want to learn how to create a budget, or just want some ideas on how to save money, this book probably has some useful advice for you. If you already find yourself budgeting, saving, and investing, you might want to look elsewhere for a more advanced guide that it specifically targeted at people like you.

Waste Not, Borrow Not
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

jeminah28
Bookshelves Moderator
2019 Reading Goal: 5
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 680
2018 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1085
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeminah28.html
Latest Review: Penelope Sherbanne by Susan Uriarte

Post by jeminah28 »

The idea of the book seems cool. I'm glad, we don't need any thermostat at home.
"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."

adamgreenrock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamgreenrock.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by adamgreenrock »

At least the book gives off a warming vibe from the beginning to the end. People really do need to know how to save their money sometimes. Thanks for your review!

MaShasha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mashasha.html
Latest Review: The Right to Nominate by Thomas E Peterson

Post by MaShasha »

You would be surprised by how many people need financial advice. I hope this book will be helpful to many.

Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

I enjoy reading practical how-to guides like this book, particularly when they cover topics like saving money. Thank you for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:

Juliet+1
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: Dragon Bones and Dao
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: A Prince of a King by Gene Abravaya

Post by Juliet+1 »

I love to pick up new ideas for saving money. Sounds like a terrific book! :D

Philly Shanty
Currently Reading: The Girl in the Yellow Scarf
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philly-shanty.html
Latest Review: Shackles and More Gripping Tales by James Hanna

Post by Philly Shanty »

Financial advice is essential and once in a while I read a book on financial freedom and properly planning for my money. However, I always get tired halfway through. It helps that I can skip some pages. Nice of you to include that in the review!

AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by AntonelaMaria »

This seems like a book that everybody should read. Well, this is a very good review. I love your first sentence. "...designed to help the reader find money they didn’t know they had." Thank you for your honest review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl

readerrihana
Currently Reading: Cute tooth decay
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerrihana.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by readerrihana »

Sounds like a useful book for many people to read, but it sounds like some of the advice would be difficult to implement

Marty_Kelly
2019 Reading Goal: 3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marty-kelly.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Marty_Kelly »

This is one book I will like to read given that I am currently giving some serious thought to investments. Thanks for such a wonderful review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”