Review by tanner87cbs -- The Writer's Roadmap

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
tanner87cbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanner87cbs.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Review by tanner87cbs -- The Writer's Roadmap

Post by tanner87cbs »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Writer's Roadmap" by Leigh Shulman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Writer's Roadmap by Leigh Shulman is an instructional book for aspiring writers. This book acts as a quick reference guide for obtaining your writing goals. Leigh outlines her resource based on the OGSM model. Aimed primarily at a female audience, however, the content is universally useful for men and women of all ages. The techniques outlined in this book reach broader than just writing circuits. The OGSM model can be (and has been) applied to many professional fields.

OGSM, as explained in her book, stands for Objectives, Goals, Strategies, and Measures. The author gives a quick personal background of herself and then shares how she has applied these principles to her career. Expanding on her experiences, she outlines how you, too, can use these principals in your life to be successful in your writing endeavors. Leigh also goes on to share her one-on-one client success stories of who benefited from her advice.

What I enjoyed most about this book was the brevity and efficiency of the content. This book is very engaging, full of exercises to get you started on your writing goals. At the same time, the author does not over-expand upon her strategy. The book is very targeted and holds your attention. I learned a lot of great principals without being overloaded with pointless additional content. I also really liked the recommendations of "free-writing" exercises outlined in the book. A lot of times, we overthink our thoughts. This strategy gives an excellent insight into just letting your thoughts loose on the page with no boundaries.

What I did not enjoy about the book was the unnecessary use of profanity in the introduction and conclusion of the book. I feel this limits the audience of the book. Especially with the vulgar language not being in the main chapters of the book! It brings no added value, and I found it pointless. That is, however, my only point of constructive criticism. The writing is edited very well and contained no grammar or spelling errors.

In conclusion, I enjoyed the book and give it a 4 out of 4 stars rating. This book would be an excellent resource for those who are looking to supplement their income with writing or those interested in making a full career shift to write full time. Again, readers need to be aware of mild profanity used in the introduction and conclusion of the book. Other than that, the content is appropriate for all audiences.

The Writer's Roadmap
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”