Official Review: If You Say So. by James Sweigert

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Official Review: If You Say So. by James Sweigert

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "If You Say So." by James Sweigert.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If You Say So is a non-fiction book by James Sweigert, a successful director, producer, and motivational speaker. It is a motivational book that is aimed at helping you to change your life story into a positive one.

The stories we tell ourselves about who we are, what we can or cannot achieve, and where we are heading have a profound effect on our lives. In If You Say So, Sweigert openly shares his life story, indirectly using it as a powerful illustration to substantiate this truth. He has overcome the trauma of abuse, the shackles of addiction, and the hopelessness of homelessness by changing the way he told his story. If You Say So will help you to tackle the false stories and lies you tell yourself - stories that only serve to hold you back. You will learn how to create a new story - one that lets you control the outcome of your life.

This is by far the most realistic motivational book I have ever read. It makes it clear that conceptualization and positive affirmations will not work without effort and hard work to back them up. For example, chapter 2 has its focus on the value of work. And after reading it, my attitude towards work improved. I learned to appreciate the importance of those daily mundane tasks which are necessary to fuel me in achieving those things that bring me fulfillment.

What about those things that hinder productivity, distract us, and delay our progress like emotional baggage, addictions, and distractions? Well, Sweigert offers practical tips and advice throughout the book that will help you to combat those things while creating a new, positive story for yourself. He likens the steam locomotive to life and uses it as an extended metaphor, making it easier for readers to grasp the concepts presented in the book.

If You Say So is well written and oozes the author's enthusiasm, making it enjoyable to read. It does contain some strong language; however, it is not used in a vulgar, offensive manner. Most of all, it is both convincing and compelling. I wholeheartedly recommend it to all those who seek to improve their life and those looking for motivation and encouragement. I could not find fault with this book. It is well edited, and I did not spot a single error. Thus, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

If You Say So.
View: on Bookshelves
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

Sounds like a good read. There are definitely many things that we tell ourselves that we shouldn't. Thank you for the review.
Irene_A
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-a.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben

Post by Irene_A »

Awesome! Like you said, if it is " the most realistic motivational book" you've ever read, then sign me up. Sounds like a great book to me. Thanks for your candid review.
Bhaskins
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Bhaskins »

I love your review. I frequently read "self-help" type books to recommend to clients. Adding this one to my list. I appreciate real people sharing their stories.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling
adamgreenrock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamgreenrock.html
Latest Review: Away To Me, My Love by Naomi McDonald

Post by adamgreenrock »

A brutally honest motivational book? You don't see that often. I might give it a try. Thanks for your review of it.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”