Review by Nickolas Farmakis -- A Portrait of Mommy

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Review by Nickolas Farmakis -- A Portrait of Mommy

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Portrait of Mommy" by JL Coston.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston is a biography of the author’s mother’s life. The author describes her mother’s life from her birth to the present. The author explores numerous themes through this book, discussing romance, death, divorce, and grief. The book follows an informal, direct style, which creates a personal and friendly atmosphere in the text.

The biography begins with the description of the author’s mother’s childhood. The author’s mother is nicknamed Peas, due to her thin body, while in the early stages of the book the author introduced details about her mother’s parents. Also, the author explores her mother’s experiences in school, as well as the struggles and challenges she faced during her early years. Unfortunately, when Peas was young, her parents separated, but she also faced challenges in finding a husband. However, through prayer and support from God, Peas was able to overcome every challenge and she now lives happily serving her community at the age of eighty-eight.

There are numerous positive characteristics in this biography. More analytically, the author attaches some pictures of her mother, thereby engaging the reader and creating vividness in the text. Also, the utilization of linguistic devices and narrative techniques adds value to the book, as it helps the reader to understand the events unfolding in the story. The book was logically structured as well, as the writer followed a clear, coherent, and rational flow. Furthermore, the book was professionally edited, since I did not encounter any errors in it. Lastly, what I liked most in this book was that the writer was concise, original, and creative. The author was not repetitive, therefore the book was interesting and not monotonous, while the description of the events was original and genuine. I disliked nothing in the book, as it was expertly written, professionally edited, and logically structured.

This book is best suited for old female readers that enjoy biographies and believe in Jesus Christ. Older readers will relate better to the struggles and challenges that Peas faced when she was young, as many old people have gone through similar problems. Moreover, women will appreciate this biography more, because it is written from a female perspective. The writer describes events from a Christian’s point of view, as she also adds verses from the Bible, meaning that Christian readers will enjoy this book more.

Conclusively, I rate this book with 4 out of 4 stars. The book deserved the highest possible rating, as it was beautifully written, creatively assembled, and rationally structured, meaning I found nothing I disliked in it.

A Portrait of Mommy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”