Official Review: Stock trading for beginners by Gabriel R.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Democracy in America
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Moe And His Best Friend Boo by Nancy Alan

Official Review: Stock trading for beginners by Gabriel R.

Post by Juliana_Isabella » 12 Jan 2020, 11:58

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Stock trading for beginners" by Gabriel R..]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Stock Trading for Beginners by Gabriel R. is a nonfiction book aimed at people who want to begin buying stocks but don’t know where to start. The book includes information on the history of the stock market, different ways to invest, and the role of a stockbroker. The author also includes chapters titled “Mistakes that Beginners Make”, “Stock Market Tips and Tricks”, and “Winning Strategies”, which are designed to give the reader insider information from someone who is experienced in the industry.

I was excited to read this book because I know that you should begin investing as early in life as possible, and I’ve been contemplating buying stock. This book was advertised as a resource for those unfamiliar with the stock market, so I thought it would be good for me, since I have no experience buying or selling stocks. Unfortunately, the author doesn’t seem to understand what beginners do and don’t know. He uses a variety of terms and acronyms that go unexplained throughout the book. He often lists a series of things that one should know about a stock, such as the cost to revenue ratio, without explaining how to calculate these numbers or how to interpret them. I felt like I needed to have my browser open while I read this book so I could search all of the terms he mentioned.

In addition to the issues with the actual information included, the author’s writing style makes his ideas difficult to follow. The book includes grammatical issues on almost every page, including typographical errors, comma splices, run-on sentences, and other mistakes that would be easy to fix with help from a professional editor. Beyond the technical issues, the author includes long, wandering sentences that aren’t suitable for an informational book. The following quotation opens the section titled “Mistakes That Beginners Make”. “Mistakes are a part of development in your business know-how. All traders and investors, usually, make many common mistakes, which may result in a loss, but on the bright side, how can you possibly expect to learn without knowing where things can go wrong, and how to tackle such situations?” Sentences like these make it difficult for the reader to follow the author’s train of thought, which means the author isn’t accomplishing his goal of transmitting information to the reader.

Overall, I would rate this book 1 out of 4 stars. Between the writing style and the grammatical issues, I had a hard time understanding what the author was trying to say. Beyond these issues, the book was disorganized and jumped from assuming the reader had no understanding of the stock market to suggesting that the reader might want to become a stock broker. This book promises that it can clear up doubts about stock trading for the reader, but I left with more questions than answers, and I honestly can't think of a positive aspect of this book.

I would only recommend this book to people who already have some experience with stock trading, since they might understand the various terms used better than true beginners. If you are in financial classes and have already done research on your own, you might appreciate this broad overview of the industry.

Stock trading for beginners
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Rayasaurus
Currently Reading: Managing With Respect
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayasaurus.html
Latest Review: Advancing the Common Good by Philip Kotler

Post by Rayasaurus » 13 Jan 2020, 07:48

It’s so unfortunate that this book has such a promising topic but it didn’t pan out properly. I can only hope that the author edits the book a bit more. Thank you for the honest review!

ashley_claire
2018 Reading Goal: 52
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 15
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 128
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 157
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: Slaying of the Innocents by Robert Dustman

Post by ashley_claire » 13 Jan 2020, 08:50

You would think that a book with the word beginner in the title would be a bit more descriptive with key words and explaining what they mean. Thanks for the thorough review.

CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 135
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 110
2017 Reading Goal: 6
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 183
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Selling with Presence by Reggie Pearse
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo » 13 Jan 2020, 13:41

I looked at this book to review...I'm glad you snatched it up before I could...

Hopefully he takes your suggestions to heart and works with an editor to make his book a little more user friendly.

M_fritz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-fritz.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by M_fritz » 16 Jan 2020, 15:36

Thank you for this review! I've been searching for a beginners stock market book and I wanted something easy to follow and understand. I won't be using this book because of your helpful review

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”