Official Review: SLAP! Courage for the On-Camera Actor

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Official Review: SLAP! Courage for the On-Camera Actor

Post by Kibet Hillary »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "SLAP! Courage for the On-Camera Actor" by Ann Mahoney.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

SLAP! Courage for the On-Camera Actor: A Handbook, Journal & Scene Study Book was written by Ann Mahoney. The book sufficiently addresses many issues about on-camera acting starting from identifying one’s type through to the acting itself. Ann Mahoney begins by giving her personal journey in acting. She reveals how she got into this profession filled with ups and downs for the unpopular characters and what has kept her going. The contents of the book have been updated over time, and thus readers will benefit tremendously from her wealth of experiences. The book is 271 pages long and contains 11 chapters.

How did her acting journey start? Who influenced her? How can you accurately identify your type? How do you cry on cue? Must one cry? How do you select your photographer? How should the headshot look like? How do you pose for the headshot? What should you wear? The satisfactory answers to these and many more questions will be gotten in this fascinating book.

The author is indeed a living proof that one does not have to go to an acting conservatory to end up with a career in acting. Her school had no funding for the Speech and Debate Team, and so they had to seek their own funds. She, however, candidly acknowledges she had dedicated and passionate teachers such as Morris Block. Her passion for acting was also clearly evident. She has compiled this book to assist others who would like to pursue a career in acting. The book entails appropriate exercises that will undoubtedly help readers put into practice what they have read. Other issues such as the importance of having an agent were equally handled well.

What I liked most is that the author properly informs the reader about the true nature of the acting career. There are both high and low moments. She remarks that she is placing all her experiences and pride on the line in order to be honest about what acting is really like. She has found herself in successful seasons when she was acting in popular plays, but there have been dreary days when she fell like giving up and changing her career. Those who would like to venture into acting are forewarned that they will need courage and persistence to keep going on. Moreover, there is the place of making sacrifices because the actors have to invest in quality equipment, especially cameras and lighting kits, for self-taped auditions. The significance of constant practice and self-improvement cannot be understated as well. I sincerely believe this is a necessary aid for all actors. There is nothing I did not like about the book.

The language employed in the book was straightforward. Editing was also professionally done. The book was easy to read and thought-provoking. One of the most profound statements in the book was the importance of the actors living their authentic lives fully. There were many other statements that actors will find impactful. Therefore, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I heartily recommend the book to all readers considering acting as a career. This book will also appeal to actors and acting teachers.

SLAP! Courage for the On-Camera Actor
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I can't imagine being an actor. The very thought of hundreds of people possibly watching me gives me cold feet. It's great this is a resource for people who want to become actors. I know a few people who have headed out to California chasing the dream and have ended up finding dead ends to their careers. Great review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I considered reviewing this book, and it is good to see that it offers an informative and realistic approach to acting as a career. Thanks for your interesting review.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The author's experience in the industry is a big plus for readers. The book appears to be quite thorough for anyone interested in acting. Great review!
BookPower9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 387

Post by BookPower9 »

Being a Talents before in TV & Movie, for One year, I had the privilege to see how real actors or actresses act in front of the Camera. Really not that easy. Acting should come from the heart. It takes a lot of practice. Actually, I'm really thinking of going back in the industry. It's really fulfilling. This book is really fascinating. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”