Official Review: Writing High-Quality Medical Publication...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
raikyuu
2017 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 116
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Official Review: Writing High-Quality Medical Publication...

Post by raikyuu »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Writing High-Quality Medical Publications: A User's Manual" by Stephen W. Gutkin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Writing High-Quality Medical Publications: A User's Manual is a non-fiction book that shows how to write successful medical papers. The book serves as a reference for medical writers, both beginners and experienced alike, who wish to effectively communicate their studies to the medical community. Based on his 30 years of experience in medical writing, editorial management, and publication planning, Stephen W. Gutkin aims to guide any medical writer to have his/her first manuscript get published in a medical journal.

The book starts with explaining the principles of medical communication, which help medical writers provide clarity, integrity, and credibility to their writings. After the principles, step-by-step guidelines are provided for drafting the manuscript. The guidelines include implementing work-flow dynamics, knowing what style to use for certain readers, writing reports of different kinds of studies, and enhancing one’s prose style. The book also teaches how to properly perform a statistical analysis, which is crucial for medical studies. Multiple resources are included to help medical writers write, edit, and publish their manuscripts to medical journals.

I like that the book contains extensive resources for medical writers, ranging from sample papers (both good and bad) to tools needed to write the manuscript. The examples provided regarding good and bad writing effectively demonstrate the author’s points, helping the reader apply them correctly. The book doesn’t only contain writing and publishing advice; it also contains advice on conducting a study properly. This is important because writing a good manuscript depends on a well-prepared study. Based on the extensive resources, the book is sufficiently comprehensive for medical writers.

But what I appreciate the most is the book’s professional presentation. Despite being detailed and technical, the book is easy to follow, which is appropriate for a user’s manual. The figures and tables provided are indeed helpful in helping readers absorb the content. Even if one doesn’t have a background in medicine, the writing is easily accessible to readers regardless of background. It greatly helps that the book is professionally edited.

While the book is more focused on writing medical papers, the principles can be applied to manuscript writers working in other fields. Overall, Writing High-Quality Medical Publications: A User's Manual is an excellent resource for medical writers. I believe that reading the book can help any medical writer have his/her first manuscript get published in a medical journal. Since I can’t point out anything bad about the book, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. While the book is intended for medical writers, I can recommend it to manuscript writers working in engineering, and the natural and social sciences.

Writing High-Quality Medical Publications: A User's Manual
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
-rk

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”