Official Review: Golden Tales by I.V. Everts

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Laura Bach
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 862
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-bach.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Official Review: Golden Tales by I.V. Everts

Post by Laura Bach »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Golden Tales" by I.V. Everts.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"All roads lead to Rome". Golden Tales: Havoc in Rome takes the reader on a private tour of Rome with some comic detours caused by no other than Texel. She can’t wait to meet you.

The main character of this book has to be the female Golden Retriever, Texel. Texel is the name of an island in the Netherlands, and it’s pronounced ‘Tessel’. Texel is such a people-loving dog that she gets in all sorts of ridiculous situations, such as licking the expensive bag of a stranger or stealing a wig from someone’s head. Because Rome is swarming with tourists, Texel is always busy meeting everyone. What’s even funnier is the different reactions people have when encountering Texel and her chaotic behavior. My favorite stories were when Texel stole a wig or when she saw nuns for the first time.

I.V. Everts was born in the Netherlands and came to live in Rome with her husband. She discovered the city like a tourist, so she is extraordinary at showing it to us. The book starts by describing some delightful attractions. The Colosseum, Fontana di Trevi, and the Vatican City are some of the more famous places, but the author also shows us her favorite spots, such as the water clock in Villa Borghese and the view from the Pincio terrace. Places outside of Rome, like Appia Antica and the beach in Tor San Lorenzo, are also mentioned. It made it easy for me to imagine the author’s daily life, walking Texel in those beautiful parks. It seems like paradise until Texel does something unexpected.

What I admired the most was the relationship between the author and Texel. It was adorable to see how much I.V. Everts cares for Texel. She doesn’t get mad at her (as much as she should), she lets her indulge in some guilty pleasures, and she loves her unconditionally. It’s a lovely relationship that makes having such a misbehaving dog worth it.

The author also gives historical details about the places she mentions. Astonishingly, the Colosseum was built by 60,000 Jewish slaves in nine years. What's even more fascinating is that the whole Colosseum used to be covered with a red canvas when it rained. The details regarding history and geography are well-researched. The author even shares maps for finding the spots she mentions.

The book is short and can be easily finished all at once. My digital copy had 171 pages full of photos, illustrations, and maps that made the book visually attractive. The author uses simple words and explains more complex ones, such as "nicking", which is the British way of saying "stealing". I find this book suitable for children because of the censored words and easy descriptions. The writing is passionate, filled with exclamation marks, interjections, and upper-case letters.

In another chapter, it also gives away traditional dishes and recipes. I had no idea about where the name of “carbonara” comes from, but now I know its history. The recipes seem unique and worth trying.

Golden Tales was a pleasant surprise for me. I thought it would be a hilarious tale, but it also became a true collection of Rome’s most beautiful parts. It deserves 4 out of 4 stars. Since I only found three minor errors, I must say the book is exceptionally edited. Firstly, I need to recommend this to animal lovers, to those who like funny and relaxing stories, and to those passionate about travel. After reading this book, I’m left with two main ideas. I need to visit Rome and to get a Golden Retriever. You can’t ever get bored if you have a dog like Texel.

Golden Tales
View: on Bookshelves

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 86
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 364
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Enemy in the Mirror by Constance D. Dixon

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! What a fun book. I love that Texel walks us through Rome. She's a cutie. The author had a great idea here. Thanks for the review!
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

Kanda_theGreat
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

I'm not an animal lover but I'd definitely wish to visit Rome even if it means having to travel through literature. The recipes are a more enticing part of the book.
Your review is well done!
Bet on Me! :idea:

AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Beyond Paris
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: Raccoons Stole My Baby Jesus by Jennifer Doll DVM

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Aww, dogs are such heartwarming characters, even when they’re stealing wigs and orchestrating chaotic antics! Even the cover makes you smile. Great review, thanks for sharing your detailed and helpful impressions!

LinaMueller
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 136
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Oracle Virus by Paul Michel Privateer

Post by LinaMueller »

Great review, Laura Bach. I love dogs more than anything, but, usually, I wouldn't say I like books/movies about our best friends. The movies are often sad, and I don't want to feel sad when I watch a film. The historical details the author included should be interesting, though.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson

MsH2k
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading: The Twelve Months of the Year in 850 Languages and Dialects
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Nettie boo by Judy Brown

Post by MsH2k »

This sounds like a fun-loving way to experience Rome. Thanks for your review!
"Choose your heroes wisely."
Last Words From Above (Jeremy Brown)

Rayasaurus
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayasaurus.html
Latest Review: Operation Olive Tree by Jemil Metti

Post by Rayasaurus »

This sounds like a delightfully fun book! I'm sure I could see a lot of my own dog in Texel; my dog is also a rambunctious troublemaker. Thank you for the review!

gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: James Grant by Stanislas Yassukovich

Post by gen_g »

Wow, this one sounds so fun! I would definitely like the chance to travel around Rome with a huge golden too. Thanks for the review!

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 69
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: The Kahler Files #1--More or Less than Human by Eric Safflind

Post by Prisallen »

Texel sounds like a rambunctious and fun-loving dog. I think he may need a little training, lol. I loved reading your entertaining and informative review!

Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Magnify3 »

Licking the expensive bag of a stranger is not that bad in my books. Stealing wigs is hilarious. Texel is a lot of fun. Thanks for this review!

SomeoneInTheWorld
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-someoneintheworld.html
Latest Review: Elvenfold Hammerquest by Brex Francorum

Post by SomeoneInTheWorld »

This book seems so enjoyable! Texel sounds so funny, and I.V. Everts sounds so kind and likeable. I seems like a book i would really enjoy reading. Thank you very much for the wonderful review!

Julius_
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

I'm particularly interested in learning about the traditional recepes, thanks for such an amazing review.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Unforseen
Bookshelf Size: 447
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Victoria's War by Catherine A. Hamilton

Post by kdstrack »

What a creative way to travel and see a new city! This sounds like a wonderful way to get to know Rome, and I love the suggestion that the book is even suitable for children. They could learn geography and history while laughing at Texel's antics. This looks just amazing!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”