Official Review: Songs in the Night

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Surface by Andrew Teague McCollister

Official Review: Songs in the Night

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Songs in the Night" by Michael A. Milton, PhD.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Songs in the Night: How God Transforms Our Pain to Praise, Michael A. Milton offers biblical insight for Christians dealing with heartache. With pastoral compassion and personal illustrations, Milton addresses issues ranging from physical illness and traumatic memories to challenging relationships and depression. He provides scriptural references that encourage readers to find God's comfort amid the pain and to recognize its transformative power.

This 294-page book is well written, organized, and exceptionally edited. The book contains many examples from scriptures, but Milton's pleasantly conversational writing style keeps the content engaging and approachable for Christians in various stages of their spiritual journeys. For those who appreciate an in-depth study, he includes Bible verse references, questions for reflection, notes, and recommendations for further reading. Although the book primarily targets Christian readers, Milton's transparency about his painful past and acknowledgment of present-day "thorns in the flesh" may also appeal to spiritually curious unbelievers.

I was hooked when Milton quoted one of my all-time favorite authors, Brennan Manning: "To be grateful for an unanswered prayer, to give thanks in a state of interior desolation, to trust in the love of God in the face of the marvels, cruel circumstances, obscenities, and commonplaces of life is to whisper a doxology in darkness." Milton described how the phrase "doxology in darkness" impacted him; he knew he wanted to write a series of messages on the theme that he called "songs in the night" and eventually edited for the book.

What sets this book apart from similar scripture-based books is that Milton not only acknowledges spiritual depression, but he also cites biblical and historical examples of those troubled by it, such as David, Elijah, and Charles Haddon Spurgeon. I particularly like his sensitivity in dealing with the subject and his distinction that hope in God's sovereignty is not simply a matter of thinking happy thoughts: "I can't give you a twelve-step guide to avoiding spiritual depression or a three-point message on getting rid of it, because the Bible doesn't do that." Instead, Milton reminds us that God is still there, and he illustrates signs of healing through examples from the Psalms while offering encouragement that depression can be the very thing that leads us to worship.

I honestly can't name anything I dislike about Songs in the Night. I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. Due to Milton's sensitivity and uplifting writing style, I recommend it to both Christian readers and spiritual seekers. The book is also ideal for personal or small-group Bible study. However, I would not recommend it to readers who dislike reading scriptures.

Songs in the Night
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Letora
2019 Reading Goal: 90
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 92
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: The Happy Place
Bookshelf Size: 236
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Shackles and More Gripping Tales by James Hanna

Post by Letora »

I'm not a religious person, but I think this book would be a good pick for a friend. She's been having problems with depression and grief. This book aligns with her beliefs and may help her past her troubles. Thank you for your review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss

mosekim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mosekim »

A lot is happening in our world today. To see a book that appeals to a major issue is GOLDEN. To think spiritual depression can lead one worship is a new discovery for me. I can really use the book for a friend. Thank for the review!

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Letora wrote:
16 Jan 2020, 20:11
I'm not a religious person, but I think this book would be a good pick for a friend. She's been having problems with depression and grief. This book aligns with her beliefs and may help her past her troubles. Thank you for your review!
Hi, Letora. I imagine your friend will appreciate your thoughtful gesture. Thanks for your comment.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

mosekim wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 08:07
A lot is happening in our world today. To see a book that appeals to a major issue is GOLDEN. To think spiritual depression can lead one worship is a new discovery for me. I can really use the book for a friend. Thank for the review!
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.

Bianka Walter
2019 Reading Goal: 45
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 86
2018 Reading Goal: 40
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 127
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 364
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years; not golden but interesting by Arthur Hartz
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I like the angle of dealing with trauma from a spiritual point of view. People often find it easy to blame God for things that have gone wrong instead of turning to Him in times of strife. I think this is a great reminder of that :)
Wonderful review, Cecilia!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Bianka Walter wrote:
18 Jan 2020, 07:29
I like the angle of dealing with trauma from a spiritual point of view. People often find it easy to blame God for things that have gone wrong instead of turning to Him in times of strife. I think this is a great reminder of that :)
Wonderful review, Cecilia!
I agree, Bianka. Thanks for sharing and your kind comment.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”