Official Review: Away To Me, My Love by Naomi McDonald

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jgideon
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 242
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Code by Kelsey Rae Barthel

Official Review: Away To Me, My Love by Naomi McDonald

Post by Jgideon » 08 Jan 2020, 05:32

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Away To Me, My Love" by Naomi McDonald.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When Charlie Cameron sold the shy quiet dog to Naomi, she had no idea about the traits that the little pup would portray later in its life. All she did was follow her heart’s voice, which opened the gates of her life to a new furry companion, Luke. What could Luke and Naomi accomplish together? What would their journey look like, considering that Naomi was more accustomed to raising horses than dogs?

Away To Me, My Love: A Sheepdog’s Tale of Two Lives by Naomi McDonald chronicles a real-life story about the author and Luke, the little pup mentioned above. Together, they would experience a journey like no other. It opened Naomi’s life to some realities of life that she could have never imagined. The story revolves around their life in their home/farm, the training that Luke went through to perfect his herding skills, and the dog clinics and competitions that they participated in.

Throughout the book, I could feel the deep connection between Naomi and her lovely dog that she fondly referred to as ‘handsome man’. This began even before the two of them met. During a phone call between Charlie and Naomi (before she even saw the dog), Charlie explained that the little pup was a bit disadvantaged in terms of possessing the herding skills that many shepherds look for, citing that the puppy was shy and quiet. In contrast, there was another dog that possessed most of those skills, but Naomi firmly stated, “I want the shy one.” In the beginning, I felt as if this part of the book was a bit exaggerated but towards the end, I could see why she had some extraordinary deep affection towards the little pup. I understood that sometimes we may never understand our actions but if we remain patient and open to all kinds of possibilities, everything ends up making sense.

I loved how Naomi McDonald gave a complete picture of her life since her childhood through many difficulties into adulthood, to finding a husband, Mac, whom they could build a beautiful home together. I particularly appreciated that she gave some fine details about how her farm, her career as a horse trainer, and how acquiring Luke affected her view of life. I followed her transformation from a woman who was full of self-doubt and insecure to someone who could stand on her own and confront whatever challenges life threw her way. For instance, she was able to confront one of her haters, Bart Bromstead, who had previously tormented her through his reckless words.

This book is not only for dog lovers but also for everyone who loves to read books about the journey to self-discovery and awakening. There is a paranormal aspect of the book. Therefore, if you do not like books that have such this one is not for you. The book has some minor profanity. It is professionally edited. Since there was nothing that I disliked about Away To Me, My Love: A Sheepdog’s Tale of Two Lives, I gave it a perfect rating: 4 out of 4 stars.

Away To Me, My Love
View: on Bookshelves

Oma jibrin
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Oma jibrin » 08 Jan 2020, 12:46

Sounds interesting i would love to read about Naomi Macdonald's childhood

Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: B-Side by Janis Jones

Post by Miller56 » 08 Jan 2020, 20:04

This book sounds like a great one if you enjoy reading about the love people have for their pets. I look forward to reading this in the near future. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: B-Side by Janis Jones

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: River Kids
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by kdstrack » 09 Jan 2020, 18:22

I love dog stories! They are so overwhelming in their appreciation for their loving owners. This one sounds quite moving. Great review!

Letora
2019 Reading Goal: 90
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 92
Favorite Book: Broken Things
Currently Reading: The Happy Place
Bookshelf Size: 228
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Letora » 10 Jan 2020, 20:45

Stories like this one hold a special place in my heart. I grew up watching Lassie and reading the books. Thank you for reviewing! I will be adding this one to my list.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss

Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 97
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: A Murder is Announced
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Chief Among Us by L. A. Noble
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward » 13 Jan 2020, 00:57

This is great. I'm not much of a dog person myself, but I love hearing about how they've changed other people's lives, and I'm curious as to the effect that Luke had on Naomi. Thanks for the review!
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”