Official Review: The Kids Who Cried Wolf by Omar Muhammad

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
2019 Reading Goal: 72
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 50
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Favorite Book: Unbalanced
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: The Kids Who Cried Wolf by Omar Muhammad

Official Review: The Kids Who Cried Wolf by Omar Muhammad

Post by Rosemary Wright » 07 Jan 2020, 12:02

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Kids Who Cried Wolf" by Omar Muhammad.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Kids Who Cried Wolf, by Omar Muhammad, is about the Roscetti case, which involved the abduction, violation, and elimination of a young female medical student in 1986 in Chicago, the United States. The author of this book was one of the then four teenage boys that were wrongfully arrested and convicted of the above crime. They spent many years in jail before they were exonerated and released.

Muhammad wrote this book to show how he and his friends were framed and chiefly to defend themselves from what a certain author wrote in his book titled On the Night of a Blood Moon. It’s a novel based on the Roscetti case.

Muhammad begins the book by telling about the kind of childhood he had. He reveals the different homes he stayed in because his mother was no more and his father was incarcerated. Again, he tells about the various friends he had at school and in his neighborhood, revealing how he met them. He unveils how he was involved in delinquent acts and how one of such acts made him to be where he was when he was wrongfully arrested. Also, he tells about the premonitions he had before and after he was arrested.

The Kids Who Cried Wolf is intriguing and unputdownable. Though it’s the author’s first book, it’s engaging and flows smoothly. There are no unnecessary details. I like his concise and straightforward writing style. His argument and conclusion are quite logical. Examining a lot of circumstantial evidence, he presents his facts in an articulate manner.

This non-fiction book is spellbinding. I felt like I was reading a crime and mystery novel. However, it’s not for faint-hearted readers; it comprises some narrative involving violence, particularly sexual assault. Moreover, it’s a touching story. After I finished reading it, I was down for a while because four kids were jailed for many years for a crime they did not commit.

Furthermore, the book has some profane words. Besides, it was not well edited; it contains a lot of grammatical and typographical errors. Being a publication with historic information, I advise the author to send it for professional editing to increase his audience.

I rate The Kids Who Cried Wolf 3 out of 4 stars. It doesn’t deserve less because it’s captivating and enlightening. Besides, I couldn’t rate it 4 stars since the grammar flaws and typos are kind of distracting. I recommend it to anyone who is concerned about official misconduct. In addition, I advise parents to get it for their teenage kids. It has some important life lessons for the youth of today.

The Kids Who Cried Wolf
View: on Bookshelves

Rayasaurus
Currently Reading: Managing With Respect
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayasaurus.html
Latest Review: Advancing the Common Good by Philip Kotler

Post by Rayasaurus » 12 Jan 2020, 16:10

It's so sad that they were wrongfully convicted and imprisoned! I am glad though, that they were eventually freed. I think this book would be a good choice for me. Thank you for the excellent review!

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: River Kids
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by kdstrack » 15 Jan 2020, 16:54

This is a heart-wrenching story. As you suggest, hopefully others can learn from Muhammad's experience. Thanks for the insights and thoughtful analysis.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”