Official Review: The Astrology of 2020 - The Dawning of a...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Official Review: The Astrology of 2020 - The Dawning of a...

Post by rumik »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Astrology of 2020 - The Dawning of a New World" by Gahl Eden Sasson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I had an astrology phase when I was younger. I spent hours poring over my birth chart, trying to find anything that matched my personality or events in my life. Did I believe the stars held clues to my destiny? Not really—I just thought it was fun. Despite the myriad controversies surrounding astrology, most of us still enjoy reading our horoscopes when we get the chance. Given my personal experience with the topic, I naturally picked up The Astrology of 2020 - The Dawning of a New World by Gahl Eden Sasson right as I saw it.

This is a book meant for those interested in learning about the astrological events that take place this year, as well as how these events might personally affect them. Don't worry if you don't know what words like retrograde or conjunct mean—the author goes into detail on every major event, describing them in layman's terms. I especially appreciated his writing style: informative, yet friendly and accessible.

I was also drawn in by how persuasive the author is. He doesn't try to convince us with just his words; instead, he provides concrete examples from history that occurred when these cosmic events last took place.

For example, Pluto conjunct Saturn is considered a disastrous alignment in the astrological world, and it will take place this year. Sasson tells us that the last time this occurred was 1982 to 1983, during which the US went through a severe recession, conservatism rose, the AIDS epidemic took place, and Ethiopia went through its worst drought in history.

If that's not enough, Pluto was in conjunction with Saturn in 1946 to 1947 as well. The Cold War began, and some countries that are now nuclear powers first gained independence. Before that, it occurred in 1914 to 1915, during the first World War. And that's barely half of it. As a skeptic myself, I loved these historical details.

After seeing quite a few poorly converted PDFs recently, it was refreshing to read the exceptionally edited PDF copy of this book. There are no clumsy mistakes to be found, and attention has clearly been given to the presentation as well. A minor complaint I had is the lack of a table of contents—since this is almost a reference book to the astrology of 2020, readers might want to check a certain event or what events occur during a certain period of time. Adding a table of contents and a visual timeline would greatly add to this book's appeal.

You don't need to be a hardcore believer to enjoy this—I'm not, and I certainly enjoyed it. I would recommend it to everyone with even a slight fascination in subjects like astrology and numerology. There is no profanity in this book, though there are a few references to sexuality. The only people that might be offended by this book are conservatives, as conservatism is not viewed in a positive light here.

I don't think the small organizational issues are worth detracting a whole star over, so I happily give this book 4 out of 4 stars. 2020 has only just begun, and all astrology lovers would do well to read this well-written guidebook to this year.

The Astrology of 2020 - The Dawning of a New World
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Amberlily
2018 Reading Goal: 8
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 37
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amberlily.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Amberlily »

Very fun! As a book that is meant to be educational, I'm excited to hear that it was well edited and put together. I'm an astrology nut myself so this book might end up on my reading list. Great review!

esp1975
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by esp1975 »

It's great that the author made this book accessible even to those who don't have a background in astrology. I also appreciate when someone does their research. Not certain I'll be picking this up, but I'll keep it in mind.

Sheila_Jay
2019 Reading Goal: 96
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheila-jay_1438897.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sheila_Jay »

I am glad that you really enjoyed reading the book and I must say that after reading your well-written review I am convinced that this is a great book. Unfortunately, I will have to skip it since I am never fascinated by astrology. Otherwise, thanks for the insightful review.
“Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 86
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 364
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Raven Book 1 : Birth Into Darkness by WJR Parks

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad that the author provides information about astrology in simple terms. It's not a subject that I'm interested in, though. I'm glad it was so well-edited and that you were able to enjoy it.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

Kelyn
2019 Reading Goal: 35
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 188
Currently Reading: Devoured by Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 220
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelyn.html
Latest Review: Misfit's Rise by Sara E. Tall
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Kelyn »

With this many dire predictions for the coming year, I'm almost afraid to read the book! Won't that just make it more real? Kidding, of course. Astrology isn't an interest of mine, but it is one of my husband's. I'll be passing along your recommendation to him. Thanks for the insightful review!

SomeoneInTheWorld
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-someoneintheworld.html
Latest Review: Elvenfold Hammerquest by Brex Francorum

Post by SomeoneInTheWorld »

Seems like a really great book for these who are intrested in astrology. Thank you very much for the wonderful review!

Everydayadventure15
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 72
Favorite Book: The First to Forgive
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 164
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-everydayadventure15.html
Latest Review: The King's Trial by M L Farb

Post by Everydayadventure15 »

I’m was never really interested in astrology but I enjoyed your review. The author sounds like he made it easy understand the terminology and and historical connections. It might be cool to see what’s predicted for this year!

unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 245
Currently Reading: The Explosive Child
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Nobody's Perfect by Marlene Resnick Simons
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

I am not a believer in astrology, but you are right, this book does sound fun. I'm wondering what other historical examples he has to back up other claims for what we can expect this year. Great review!

Rayasaurus
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayasaurus.html
Latest Review: Operation Olive Tree by Jemil Metti

Post by Rayasaurus »

This sounds like a lot of fun! I'm glad that a lot of the concepts are described in words the average person can understand; that's always nice. I had an astrology phase when I was younger too! Thanks for the great review.

Kanda_theGreat
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

I also fancy reading my horoscopes everytime I get a chance and I'm also curious to know what this book perceives about 2020.
Amazing review!
Bet on Me! :idea:

Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Boot: A Sorta Novel of Vietnam by Charles L. Templeton

Post by Tomah »

I'm quite skeptical towards astrology, so I don't think I would enjoy this book very much. Still, for those interested in the topic, this sounds like a good book. Thanks for the review!

LinaMueller
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 136
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Oracle Virus by Paul Michel Privateer

Post by LinaMueller »

rumik wrote: ↑
05 Jan 2020, 15:25
[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Astrology of 2020 - The Dawning of a New World" by Gahl Eden Sasson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I had an astrology phase when I was younger. I spent hours poring over my birth chart, trying to find anything that matched my personality or events in my life. Did I believe the stars held clues to my destiny? Not really—I just thought it was fun. Despite the myriad controversies surrounding astrology, most of us still enjoy reading our horoscopes when we get the chance. Given my personal experience with the topic, I naturally picked up The Astrology of 2020 - The Dawning of a New World by Gahl Eden Sasson right as I saw it.

This is a book meant for those interested in learning about the astrological events that take place this year, as well as how these events might personally affect them. Don't worry if you don't know what words like retrograde or conjunct mean—the author goes into detail on every major event, describing them in layman's terms. I especially appreciated his writing style: informative, yet friendly and accessible.

I was also drawn in by how persuasive the author is. He doesn't try to convince us with just his words; instead, he provides concrete examples from history that occurred when these cosmic events last took place.

For example, Pluto conjunct Saturn is considered a disastrous alignment in the astrological world, and it will take place this year. Sasson tells us that the last time this occurred was 1982 to 1983, during which the US went through a severe recession, conservatism rose, the AIDS epidemic took place, and Ethiopia went through its worst drought in history.

If that's not enough, Pluto was in conjunction with Saturn in 1946 to 1947 as well. The Cold War began, and some countries that are now nuclear powers first gained independence. Before that, it occurred in 1914 to 1915, during the first World War. And that's barely half of it. As a skeptic myself, I loved these historical details.

After seeing quite a few poorly converted PDFs recently, it was refreshing to read the exceptionally edited PDF copy of this book. There are no clumsy mistakes to be found, and attention has clearly been given to the presentation as well. A minor complaint I had is the lack of a table of contents—since this is almost a reference book to the astrology of 2020, readers might want to check a certain event or what events occur during a certain period of time. Adding a table of contents and a visual timeline would greatly add to this book's appeal.

You don't need to be a hardcore believer to enjoy this—I'm not, and I certainly enjoyed it. I would recommend it to everyone with even a slight fascination in subjects like astrology and numerology. There is no profanity in this book, though there are a few references to sexuality. The only people that might be offended by this book are conservatives, as conservatism is not viewed in a positive light here.

I don't think the small organizational issues are worth detracting a whole star over, so I happily give this book 4 out of 4 stars. 2020 has only just begun, and all astrology lovers would do well to read this well-written guidebook to this year.

The Astrology of 2020 - The Dawning of a New World
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
To be honest with you, I don't believe in these things. Whenever I read the horoscope, I saw nothing ever came true. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Anyway, I loved your review. Well done, rumik.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson

Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: A Murder is Announced
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Capturing a pandemic - a middle schoolers perspective by Sriman Goli
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I have to admit, I'm constantly inundated with astrology readings, so I'm burnt out on the subject. However, this seems like a fun and pretty cool book that I'm sure will be entertaining, if not informative to those who are interested.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

Interesting to note that people do follow such things. Thanks for your great review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”