Official Review: How to Get Longer Life From Your Big Scr...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 92
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 52
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Garden Design Recipes by April Harden

Official Review: How to Get Longer Life From Your Big Scr...

Post by EvaDar » 02 Jan 2020, 14:19

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "How to Get Longer Life From Your Big Screen Television Set" by Mason Bolton III.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

You know those vertical lines or spots that show up on your television when it’s about to die? I recently replaced a large TV with vertical, green lines running through the picture. Larger screen televisions can cost $1000 or more, yet most last only 3-5 years—not a great return on your investment.

Retired electronics engineer Mason Bolton III is a devoted student of television technology. Bolton claims his TV longevity guide can stretch the life of your television to 10 years or more. How To Get Longer Life From Your Big Screen Television Set is a practical manual that outlines numerous money-saving steps you can take to keep your television healthy. You’ll learn the signs of television aging, proper environment management, and simple settings that can add years to your TV’s life.

You don’t have to smell smoke, see dark spots, or hear crackling noises coming from your set for this book to be useful. Prevention is the key. While you are streaming hours of programming, your monitor may be quietly burning out components needed for optimum performance. Once the symptoms become noticeable, it may be too late.

Overheating is television kryptonite, so Bolton devotes several sections to tips on preventing overheating and promoting cooling. Some of the solutions are quick hacks and some are more involved, but even keeping your thermostat lower is a start. Bolton provides solutions for humidity, dust, and condensation, which can also be damaging. The book ends with an important bonus tip about streaming and a summary of the important points.

Having just had a TV burn out, I’m interested in getting the most out of my new television. I admit I imagined this book might be a bit technical and boring. On the contrary. Bolton refrained from overdoing the technical jargon and focused on practical solutions to keep your television ahead of the curve. Find out why it’s important to provide the optimum temperature, use the right power strip, understand your TV settings, and consider an external streaming box. As practical, money-saving household hacks go, this book is a gem.

Bolton’s writing is clear and accessible. With under 100 pages, the book consists of many short sections rather than numbered chapters. Some larger divisions, in the form of chapters or main headings might have helped organize the content a little better. The book does not appear to be professionally edited as I found quite a few errors, mostly in the realm of tense and verb form.

If you like to save money and you value in-home entertainment, you and your TV will love this book. I rate How To Get Longer Life From Your Big Screen Television Set 3 out of 4 stars for its practical, money-saving solutions. The editing errors prevent me from giving a perfect score. If you are on a budget or miss the day when consumers could fix their own appliances, you will enjoy this book. If you are even a little bit handy, you’ll be off and running from page one. Remember, doing these things could put a chunk of cash in your wallet that would have gone to a new television set.

How to Get Longer Life From Your Big Screen Television Set
View: on Bookshelves
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed

Bianka Walter
2019 Reading Goal: 45
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 86
2018 Reading Goal: 40
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 127
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 363
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Chosen: Book One of Between by J.Y. Olmos
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter » 10 Jan 2020, 04:44

Who would have thought that there was so much about TVs that we would want to know :)
Great review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss

Letora
2019 Reading Goal: 90
Favorite Book: Broken Things
Currently Reading: The Happy Place
Bookshelf Size: 228
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Letora » 10 Jan 2020, 06:47

I've honestly never thought of how long a TV lasts. Mine tend to last for years. It does make sense that the TVs would overheat and burn out components. I'm glad this isn't overly technical. The errors make me doubt some of the contents, but I still may give it a try.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 125
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: River Kids
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by kdstrack » 10 Jan 2020, 19:05

This is a subject that never had entered my mind. It's good to know that there are ways to extend the life of a TV. It might make investing in a more expensive screen a more viable option. Thanks for the great review and the thorough analysis of this book.

LauraLeeWasHere
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 316
Favorite Author: Jess Lederman
Favorite Book: David Copperfield
Currently Reading: The Treasure of Capric
Bookshelf Size: 164
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauraleewashere.html
Latest Review: Hearts Set Free by Jess Lederman
fav_author_id: 164792

Post by LauraLeeWasHere » 11 Jan 2020, 23:29

Here's the absolute truth! I fell asleep with my tablet on and when I booted it back up, this review was dead center of my screen and in the magnified version. I thought, " What is this on my screen?! What in the world am I looking at?!" because there is no way I would have chosen to read this review of my own accord. (No offense to you or the author meant)

But being a Christian and a firm believer in Divine Intervention, I read this review. Twice! I discovered a book I want (even though I gave up cable TV 7 years ago in order to make ends meet/meat) AND I have discovered another member of the OBC that I think does great reviews. You don't only express yourself well, know how to keep your readers in mind and disseminate a book, but you have been endowed with a touch of "Silly" by telling me that my TV will love this book as well. But you have also described me perfectly in the quote I have attached.

So, thank you, Jesus, for directing me to this book, this reviewer and your wise Providence that constantly keeps my future good in mind, whether it be me personally or any TV set that may come to live with me. (I've been endowed with a touch of "Silly" too).
If you like to save money and you value in-home entertainment, you and your TV will love this book. I rate How To Get Longer Life From Your Big Screen Television Set 3 out of 4 stars for its practical, money-saving solutions. The editing errors prevent me from giving a perfect score. If you are on a budget or miss the day when consumers could fix their own appliances, you will enjoy this book. If you are even a little bit handy, you’ll be off and running from page one. Remember, doing these things could put a chunk of cash in your wallet that would have gone to a new television set
Sincerely, Laura-Lee :techie-reference: thought, Jesus,
And there are also many other things which Jesus did, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. John 21:25 KJV

EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar » 12 Jan 2020, 02:19

Bianka Walter wrote:
10 Jan 2020, 04:44
Who would have thought that there was so much about TVs that we would want to know :)
Great review!
I know. It never even occurred to me that there were things a consumer could do to increase the longevity of an electronic appliance. I'm glad to be in lightened. Thanks for stopping by.
-Nayyirah Waheed

EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar » 12 Jan 2020, 02:23

Letora wrote:
10 Jan 2020, 06:47
I've honestly never thought of how long a TV lasts. Mine tend to last for years. It does make sense that the TVs would overheat and burn out components. I'm glad this isn't overly technical. The errors make me doubt some of the contents, but I still may give it a try.
I never thought about it either. But I'm gonna see what I can do to extend the life of this new TV. Thanks so much for dropping by.
-Nayyirah Waheed

EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar » 12 Jan 2020, 03:44

LauraLeeWasHere wrote:
11 Jan 2020, 23:29
Here's the absolute truth! I fell asleep with my tablet on and when I booted it back up, this review was dead center of my screen and in the magnified version. I thought, " What is this on my screen?! What in the world am I looking at?!" because there is no way I would have chosen to read this review of my own accord. (No offense to you or the author meant)

But being a Christian and a firm believer in Divine Intervention, I read this review. Twice! I discovered a book I want (even though I gave up cable TV 7 years ago in order to make ends meet/meat) AND I have discovered another member of the OBC that I think does great reviews. You don't only express yourself well, know how to keep your readers in mind and disseminate a book, but you have been endowed with a touch of "Silly" by telling me that my TV will love this book as well. But you have also described me perfectly in the quote I have attached.

So, thank you, Jesus, for directing me to this book, this reviewer and your wise Providence that constantly keeps my future good in mind, whether it be me personally or any TV set that may come to live with me. (I've been endowed with a touch of "Silly" too).
If you like to save money and you value in-home entertainment, you and your TV will love this book. I rate How To Get Longer Life From Your Big Screen Television Set 3 out of 4 stars for its practical, money-saving solutions. The editing errors prevent me from giving a perfect score. If you are on a budget or miss the day when consumers could fix their own appliances, you will enjoy this book. If you are even a little bit handy, you’ll be off and running from page one. Remember, doing these things could put a chunk of cash in your wallet that would have gone to a new television set
Sincerely, Laura-Lee :techie-reference: thought, Jesus,
"What is this on my screen?" Indeed we never know what will show up on our screen.... Thank you so much for the thoughtful comments. :tiphat:
-Nayyirah Waheed

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”