Official Review: Triumphant by I.A. Penn

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Official Review: Triumphant by I.A. Penn

Post by ciecheesemeister »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Triumphant" by I.A. Penn.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Triumphant is the brief but impactful autobiography and self-assessment of author I.A. Penn. The author manages to pack quite a bit of information into a small number of pages as she discusses her personal difficulties and triumphs, beginning with her birth in a home for unwed mothers fifty-six years ago. In court, the author’s father claimed not to have known her mother, even though the pair had dated for two years prior to the author’s conception. The court denied the mother’s claims, and the father departed the United States, returning to his homeland in Ghana. He left the author and her mother destitute.

The author candidly discusses her type one bipolar disorder and her difficulties learning in a traditional educational environment. Overall, she has flourished despite these challenges. The author is evidently very intelligent and has taught herself many things. What she has learned has led to many interesting professional opportunities. With the help of her younger sister and compassionate hired caregivers, she was able to raise her own two children to be capable and overall well-adjusted adults although at times her mental state was such that she was unable to care for them herself.

I give Triumphant four out of four stars. As someone who has type two bipolar disorder, I found myself resonating with many of the stories the author told. I also agree with her that the current educational system only works for people whose minds work a certain way. It does not tend to work well for people with brains that are wired differently, such as individuals with autism or conditions such as bipolar disorder.

The thing I liked best about the book was the author’s forthrightness about her struggles, both as a black person born into poverty and raised by a single mother living with a major mental illness, and as a person with a major mental illness trying to raise her own children and to excel on a personal level. I also liked the fact that while the author is a devout believer in God, she never preaches or proselytizes.

There was nothing that I disliked about the book. It was well-written and professionally edited. There were no errors in the text. I generally prefer shorter paragraphs, but the long paragraph style echoes the stream of consciousness that tends to be a feature of bipolar disorder. I would have liked it if the book had been a bit longer, so I would say the thing I disliked most about the book was the fact that it was too short.

Triumphant is a great choice for people who enjoy autobiographies and who are interested in subjects such as medicine and psychology. It would not be a good choice for someone seeking a literary escape to a fictional world.

Triumphant
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Bipolar disorder, like many mental illnesses, can be isolating for the sufferer. I'm glad you were able to relate to this book in a positive way. Kudos to the author for taking a difficult situation and turning it around into something helpful. Great review. Thanks!
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I’m glad that the author was candid in relaying her struggles and that she was able to persevere and excel. Thank you for a great review!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Irene_A
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-a.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben

Post by Irene_A »

Judging from your review, the author did truimphed as the name implied. Despite her circumstances, she seemed to not have wallowed in self pity instead gave life her best. Love a good inspirational book as such, and would love to know more about bipolar disorder in the author's perspective. Thanks for the review.
mosekim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mosekim »

A woman of this great strength writes a life not in fiction really brings joy to my soul. Experiences can really shape. Spirituality is core. The book review that commands much attention, I can speak higher of the book itself. It should be a must read for me. Thank you

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”