Review by Damien357 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Damien357
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damien357.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Review by Damien357 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Damien357 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

While reading Jorge P. Newberry's autobiography titled Burn Zones: Playing Life's Bad Hands, the book was not at all what I expected. Maybe I expected more of a self-help book or something motivational. The audience I would recommend for this book would be someone who is wanting to learn about themselves and are in for a good story. Instead, I was surprised by a constant storyline of success, failure, growth, and family.

From the start, we are informed of Newberry's position in the world. He is, and always has been, a businessman and entrepreneur from day one. Newberry fondly recalled his childhood joys to his audience, everything from riding the newspaper route, to selling ice cream, to starting his own record label company. And all before the age of 18! His book consists of the many business ventures he makes, including exploring his own various interests and hobbies and how they can help him succeed.

Newberry takes his audience along his journey of self-discovery. He's a very ambitious person in finding new ways to gain fulfillment out of life. The book was very well organized as we were given flashbacks to his childhood, snippets of his family life, and brought along during his adventures. There was never a moment where something wasn't always happening. If things happened to slow done, became consistent in any way, Newberry would suddenly develop a new interest. Once again, the journey started over as we see him constantly start from the bottom and work his way up to the highest position that was available to him.

When a horrible disaster struck, leaving Newberry more than 26 million in debt, readers are struck with the surprisingly honest emotions that were brought to the surface. It is so easy to feel the devastation and the trauma that Newberry himself felt. It's as if we, the readers, were there with him. While explaining some of the more legal issues we had to deal with, Newberry explains the ordeal clearly and never once acts as if it were below the readers' comprehension.

Overall, I would rate this book a four out of four. The writing style is clear and easy to read with no typos or errors. The chapters, while long, kept me engaged throughout the book and there was never a moment where I felt bored. The book as a whole was just magnificent. Throughout the joys, sorrows, achievements, and devastations of his life, Newberry carries on with a powerful message to his readers-when times get hard, and we feel as if we are in our own personal burn zones of life, we must endure.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

AvocaDebo621
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading: The Daily Stoic
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avocadebo621.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by AvocaDebo621 »

The book is a simple narrative of the author’s life and his experience, rather than a preachy “how-to guide” to instant success. Loved reading it. I really enjoyed your review. 🙂

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”