Review by J_odoyo -- Finding A Job in Tough Times

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
J_odoyo
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-odoyo.html
Latest Review: Epicenter by Carrie Hannah

Review by J_odoyo -- Finding A Job in Tough Times

Post by J_odoyo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Finding A Job in Tough Times" by Dr. Tim Johnson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Many people today—especially fresh graduates from various colleges and universities—are having a frustrating job search. Probably they are making some simple job search mistakes, and maybe they need a little assistance. Dr. Tim Johnson's Finding a Job in Tough Times is a book tailored to assist those who are in need of a little help in their job search. This book is more of a step-by-step guide towards self-discovery than an intriguing page-turner one would want to enjoy.

It unveils preparations a job-seeker needs to put in place beside their academic qualifications before landing into a job—a good job. This is a guidebook involving exercises (readers are expected to provide answers in a separate notebook for maximum benefit out of the book).

The author argues that most colleges today don't prepare students for life, but they prepare them for a career. All they give as wherewithal is the ability to think and reason. He affirms that colleges try to measure skills and ability in courses and thus give grades. However, this is a limited assessment. He explains that to get a good job, a job applicant should know himself/herself.

In a good portion of this book, he guides his readers to know themselves through a series of exercises. He affirms that the knowledge of oneself is a vital ingredient in excelling in an interview, which is one of the important tools in any hiring process. Dr. Johnson shares his personal stories with his readers to help them distinguish between feelings and actions—actions enable the success of a job-hunter.

In a conversational tone, he shares his past experiences in a way that makes the concepts of this book real and achievable. Dr. Johnson answers the question: "What makes you employable?" He also covers areas like Six-Steps to Paycheck, Resumes, Interviews, and many more. He equips his readers with an ability to handle the negatives in their job history. He leads them through key steps in creating and taking advantage of opportunities.

I picked this book because I had failed in a couple of interviews and was engaged in a job I didn't like. While reading this book, I not only realized that I didn't know myself better but also that I had myriads of abilities but with limited employable skills. I did find many areas of potentials I could work on to make my work-life a competitive one.

Overall I can say Dr. Johnson did a good job by providing this wonderful guidebook—which is a vital tool for fresh graduates and other job seekers. I thoroughly enjoyed this guidebook and learned a lot of things. The last sections (Resumes and Interviews) remain my favorite. I liked the vital information they entailed—which were new to me. There is no section I can single out as the most-disliked.

As far as negative is concerned, I did find a few instances of minor typographical and grammatical errors. However, despite the downsides, I can still say the book was professionally edited.

My rating for Finding a Job in Tough Times is 4 out of 4 stars. The effectiveness of this book, exceptional editing, and comprehensible step-by-step guides involved could deserve nothing less. This book can be very helpful to fresh graduates from colleges and universities. I also believe that other job-seekers will also find it to contain good ideas to go by during their job search. I see the undergraduate students benefiting from this book. Nevertheless, this is not a recommendable read for children because the premise of this book is beyond their age.

Finding A Job in Tough Times
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
The more books you read the more choices you have
– Toni Morrison
VictorKE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victorke.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by VictorKE »

Nice review. The issue of job finding is becoming one of the most difficult aspect to accomplish.
Reader047
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader047.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Reader047 »

Exactly,, today it's problatic to find a job . This has led to increase in educated but jobless people ... Nice review,,, keep it up.
J_odoyo
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-odoyo.html
Latest Review: Epicenter by Carrie Hannah

Post by J_odoyo »

Reader047 wrote: 27 Jul 2020, 04:37 Exactly,, today it's problatic to find a job . This has led to increase in educated but jobless people ... Nice review,,, keep it up.
Thanks Reader047. I thank God you're here to encourage me with your kind comment.
The more books you read the more choices you have
– Toni Morrison
Josep22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josep22.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Josep22 »

Now, this is a book I could definitely relate to. Thanks for the wonderful review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”