Review by Nerea -- The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Review by Nerea -- The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier

Post by Nerea »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Thundering Herd" by John E. Peltier.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Thundering Herd by John E. Peltier is a story that revolves around the life experience of John from his childhood. Interestingly, the author includes events that occurred before he was born. It’s an intriguing and thrilling autobiography that will grip the readers’ attention from the beginning to the end.

The story highlights captivating themes and qualities like love, relationships, resilience, endurance, family ties, military thriller, history, climatic challenges, hardship, and spirituality.

John was born in 1948. He’s the 5th born in a family of 11 kids. Quite a herd, right? Before moving to Texas, his parents lived in Utah. Life in Utah wasn’t easy. They were affected by climatic challenges, poor infrastructure etcetera. After retirement, they practiced farming and livestock keeping. John and his siblings grew to be hardworking young farmers.

After completing high school, John joined the Army and trained as a Medical Corpsman. The training was swift, and he was assigned to work in Vietnam in 1967. He enjoyed his job, was flexible and quick to obey orders. In 1969, John returned home to his parents. He helped them in farming activities. Few years down the line, John started his own construction company that later became a family business known as Peltier Brothers Construction.

The author was careful to place the punctuation at the proper place in the sentences. Additionally, he balanced short and complex sentences in his writing. The narration is swift and told from John’s point of view. The tone is warm and humorous too. The author masterfully balanced his past and present life experiences and diligently switched the experiences in the story without confusing the reader.

The painful and astonishing experiences in John’s life include the storm attack, the death of his father, and when a rattlesnake bit his hand. When bad things happen in someone’s life, it robs them of their happiness. But how do we deal with such distressing situations? Give up in life? Endure? Or Seek divine intervention?

What I like about the memoir is that John’s parents were spiritual. They would encourage their children to commit their activities or ways to God if they wanted to succeed. Remarkably, some insights about cows have been highlighted in the story. Furthermore, the book contains a couple of intriguing military terms and abbreviations. Some of which I knew, but didn’t know their meaning. I like the picture illustrations depicted in the book for the fact that they provide a vivid idea of the activities being described and the people involved. Ultimately, the bond of love and the unity the Peltier’s family have among themselves is awe-inspiring.

I learned that teamwork yields better results. Hard work is required to put food on the table. Finally, patience and resilience are qualities to manifest during hardship.

That said, I rate the book at 4 out of 4 stars. The editing aspect of the book is professional. The grammatical errors detected aren’t distracting. The story is inspiring and adventurous too. There is a lot to learn from John’s life experience. I didn't find anything to dislike.

Those who find memoirs inspiring or anyone looking for a thrilling story will enjoy reading the book.

The Thundering Herd
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

I'm into autobiographies and I think I'd enjoy reading this book. I'll check it out if I have the chance, thanks for an informative and well-written review!
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

It must be very challenging to come from a big family with ten siblings. I have two (a brother and a sister), and they drive me crazy 😵. Personally, there is nothing more inspired than a united family with faith in God. Peltier's memoir seems to touch a variety of reflective themes. Lovely review, Nerea! Thanks!
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
Shabram22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shabram22.html
Latest Review: Breaking the Chain by Patricia Rossi

Post by Shabram22 »

Teamwork with such a big team is great. I like stories where you can learn from people's experiences and get a lot for yourself. I think I'll add this book to my reading list. Great job on your review!
Nerea
Currently Reading:

Post by Nerea »

InStoree wrote: 27 Jan 2020, 02:23 It must be very challenging to come from a big family with ten siblings. I have two (a brother and a sister), and they drive me crazy 😵. Personally, there is nothing more inspired than a united family with faith in God. Peltier's memoir seems to touch a variety of reflective themes. Lovely review, Nerea! Thanks!
Yes it is challenging. But with a united family that love God things can always work out well. Thanks for coming through.
No Wahala
Nerea
Currently Reading:

Post by Nerea »

Shabram22 wrote: 27 Jan 2020, 02:39 Teamwork with such a big team is great. I like stories where you can learn from people's experiences and get a lot for yourself. I think I'll add this book to my reading list. Great job on your review!
True. Enjoy your reading and thanks for your kind comments.
No Wahala
Nerea
Currently Reading:

Post by Nerea »

espo wrote: 26 Jan 2020, 18:52 I'm into autobiographies and I think I'd enjoy reading this book. I'll check it out if I have the chance, thanks for an informative and well-written review!
Sure thing. Thanks for coming through.
No Wahala
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

I like that John was brought up by spiritual parents. I found myself relating to John's story and I think I'll check it out. Thanks for the review
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
Nerea
Currently Reading:

Post by Nerea »

Julius_ wrote: 27 Jan 2020, 03:40 I like that John was brought up by spiritual parents. I found myself relating to John's story and I think I'll check it out. Thanks for the review
Thank you for your kind words. I hope you enjoy reading the book.
No Wahala
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

Autobiographies usually aren't my cup of tea, though I do read some from time to time. John seems to have lead quite a rich life. Thanks for the review!
Nerea
Currently Reading:

Post by Nerea »

Tomah wrote: 27 Jan 2020, 10:17 Autobiographies usually aren't my cup of tea, though I do read some from time to time. John seems to have lead quite a rich life. Thanks for the review!
Thanks for commenting. :tiphat:
No Wahala
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I'm intrigued about the insights on cows! The book generally sounds upbeat and interesting. Thanks for the informative review.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

This sounds like an encouraging and uplifting autobiography from an author who has lived a full life. I can't wait to check out this book. Thank you for the wonderful review!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I guess, it's a great and solid read for memoir lovers :) Given properly some one's life events might be fascinating to read about. Thank you for this amazing review!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Having so many siblings would have made for an interesting childhood! I am wondering how much information he included about activities and adventures with his other brothers and sisters?? This looks intriguing. Thanks for including the comments about his parents. Great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”